Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all - as a new convert to the LS400 I've been browsing the excellent forum for a few weeks before asking my first question - I can't find an answer anywhere else on the forum.

I bought my 1998 LS400 about five weeks ago from a garage who gave me the prevous owners phone number so I could ask him about the car's history. One of the things he warned me about was not to start the car when cold, run it out of the garage, for instance, and then switch off without it warming up. This would lead to difficulties next time it was started and it would sound like a "bag of spanners" for the first few miles. I was sceptical but yesterday I had to do just that - I moved it a few feet then switched off. Next time I had to start it, it took about 10 seconds of turning over with lots of sputters and pops till it eventually fired up properly with clouds of black smoke - and a sound like a bag of spanners! After a few miles it was fine again.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it just a feature of the LS400, or should I be anticipating trouble? Everything else about the car (apart from some suspension bushes, obviously!) is perfect.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi all - as a new convert to the LS400 I've been browsing the excellent forum for a few weeks before asking my first question - I can't find an answer anywhere else on the forum.

I bought my 1998 LS400 about five weeks ago from a garage who gave me the prevous owners phone number so I could ask him about the car's history. One of the things he warned me about was not to start the car when cold, run it out of the garage, for instance, and then switch off without it warming up. This would lead to difficulties next time it was started and it would sound like a "bag of spanners" for the first few miles. I was sceptical but yesterday I had to do just that - I moved it a few feet then switched off. Next time I had to start it, it took about 10 seconds of turning over with lots of sputters and pops till it eventually fired up properly with clouds of black smoke - and a sound like a bag of spanners! After a few miles it was fine again.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it just a feature of the LS400, or should I be anticipating trouble? Everything else about the car (apart from some suspension bushes, obviously!) is perfect.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi

Most cars don't like it if you do that but not as bad as yours....

A few guesses....

Leaking petrol injectors when cold, you switch off and they drip into the engine then flooded on restart....

Could also be something to do with the cold start, maybe the throttle body or air flow meter are dirty....

Has it only been used for short runs?

As a first, cheap fix I'd stick some petrol injector cleaner in it and take it for a good long run for at least 50 miles, more if you can afford the petrol !!!

I expect someone else will be along soon with some more ideas....

Glad you are liking it otherwise and welcome to a friendly club...

Pete

Hi Lexus 2D and Pete

Thanks for the welcome and quick responses - I like the leaky injector theory and will try the injector cleaner next time I fill up. That is, next time I can afford half a tank of petrol. They guy who had the car before me said he thought it was to do with the ecu (?) being in the 'cold start' programme and if you didn't let it warm up it kinda went into cold start x 2 next time! Sounded a bit dodgy to me. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

John

Hi Lexus 2D and Pete

Thanks for the welcome and quick responses - I like the leaky injector theory and will try the injector cleaner next time I fill up. That is, next time I can afford half a tank of petrol. They guy who had the car before me said he thought it was to do with the ecu (?) being in the 'cold start' programme and if you didn't let it warm up it kinda went into cold start x 2 next time! Sounded a bit dodgy to me. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

John

Your Welcome hope u get it sorted :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links