Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wim

Right i am a little confused

I see alot of you have had your car WIM'd but to be honest i am kind of unsure on what gains you get from it

I know its summin to do with the geometry but thats about it

So whats gains do you get from this? And how do you know if your car needs doin?

This thread may help.

Basically, it will cost around £100. It is to do with the suspension geometry. The IS is well known to have had the wrong setup as standard, and as a result, causs excess tyre wear. Especially on the front and worse if you corner at high speeds. Over time the geometry can get thrown a bit out anyway (pot holes etc.)

So...if you do not know when the geometry was set, it is always a good idea to get it done if you can. If it has been done by someone using Lexus recommended settings, it will be wrong. Tony@WIM has developed optimum settings and has been tried and tested on hundreds of IS200s now.

You should see improved tyre wear, and general better road holding and cornering.

If unsure, speak to Tony, and I'm sure he will be happy to chat to you about it and explain in more detail. He's the Pro, though i think what i have said is correct!

Well basically when Lexus designed the IS they set the wheels wrong slightly so the inner side of the tyre wears more than the outside.

This apart from the obvious money costs can affect the handling.

Tony @ WIM has done a LOT of research into the IS and has found some better settings that eradicate the problem and improve the cars overall handling as well.

Stav

Does your IS suffer with the uneven tyre wear mate?

The inside edges on the front tyres of most is200/300's wear away at an alarming rate where you have to change them more often than you should,

The handling is a lot better on the car after it being setup and has a more positive feel when you turn into corners and most of the IS200's i've been in have a floaty and unstable feel on the motorway which is corrected and makes it feel a lot safer than before :)

To me it was the safety side of things and the cost of replacing the tyres every few thousand miles that made me have mine done, plus the handling after i lowered my IS was really bad but now its very true and precise compared to before, and even before i had mine lowered it was very unstable :)

QUOTE FROM TONY:

Unfortunately Lexus got the settings wrong on the IS200/300/sc, by invitation from LOC Admin i re-wrote the positions to stop the wear about five years ago. these positions are available in the clubs knowledge base.

The criminal angle is the castor but it's not adjustable (directly) so i devised a change in the camber that then violated the toe that when corrected adjusted the castor (indirectly)

Although the dealers recognise a problem with the tyre wear they admit they "cannot" deviate from the OEM settings Lexus originally wrote and Lexus will not offer a revision, probably due to the liability's.

We know of one member who pushed Lexus GB on the topic and seemingly he was paid off never to be seen again.

Geometry for the customer is hard enough to understand so i designed the centre so that the owner can be as involved in what's going on as they like, some enthusiasts are so into their car i even even give them the spanners and let them adjust the angles.... The insurance to allow this is extorsionate so it's unlikely a dealer would accommodate that sort of dead money.

ONE OF MANY SATISFIED CUSTOMERS:

I had my car WIM'd by Tony soon after I got it. The change in handling was amazing, it was so much better. You won't regret it if you do make a special trip down to WIM, it's really worth it IMHO, they are a very professional outfit.

To be honest my tyres seem to wear quite evenly on the front. I cant really comment on the back ones tho :whistling:

It might be something for me to look into once i get my coilovers because it will prob need doin again after i have lowered it. Plus it is a fair distance from south wales so not just gonna be a day out

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links