Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Has My Timing Belt Been Changed?...

HiTnRuN

Hi guys,

I recently bought an 02 plate is200 with 71k mileage from a dealer who took it in as a p/x but he thought the timing belt was due to be changed at 100k. But I have no idea whether or not the timing belt has been changed. What indications would help me decipher whether or not the belt has in fact been changed?

Thanks in advance,

Anil

Hi guys,

I recently bought an 02 plate is200 with 71k mileage from a dealer who took it in as a p/x but he thought the timing belt was due to be changed at 100k. But I have no idea whether or not the timing belt has been changed. What indications would help me decipher whether or not the belt has in fact been changed?

Thanks in advance,

Anil

If the car has lexus service history ? you can ask the dealer that serviced the car, other than that have a look at the condition of the belt, if still unsure, get it changed :D

Sometimes there's a sticker in the engine bay saying that the timing belt was changed. Also, check the service book, if you've got one and it's been stamped, then phone up the previous servicing garages to see if they changed the cam belt.

If those fail, then you may well be able to get a Lexus dealer to have a quick look at the belt for free (I did just that), to see if it looks like it's a new one or the original one.

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated. If the belt has not been changed, I'll also have to change the tensioner, idler pulley and water pump. How do I know which model engine I've got and which specific parts I need to order?

Cheers,

Anil

All you need is a Timing belt as they dont do kits i got a quote from lexus for a belt & it was about the £30 mark, a garage will charge you 2 hrs labour to change it, any more than that then they'll be taking you over the bonnet :whistling:

All you need is a Timing belt

Not sure that's correct, is it ? Surely you'll need the tensioner and idler too, as per this thread ?

A Lexus dealer will help to make sure you get the right parts for your car. Or somewhere like this website where they might ask you for your VIN number to make sure they get the right bits (I have no idea if there are any different parts for these based on model etc).

All you need is a Timing belt as they dont do kits i got a quote from lexus for a belt & it was about the £30 mark, a garage will charge you 2 hrs labour to change it, any more than that then they'll be taking you over the bonnet :whistling:

Yeah you should get the idler and tensioner as well.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links