Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all

i bought my IS220d from Lexus Belfast in oct 2006, it was pre reg'd from july but had only 4 miles on the clock. since then it has broken down 6 times!! 4 of those were 5th injector related, this was then repaired under the factory recall in sep 08. a week before christmas, the dash lights up like a christmas tree and i'm in limp mode again. this time it's diagnosed as the egr valve, i contacted lexus GB and went what can only be sescribed as 'boogaloo'! after much apologising and asuring me that this was not the normal lexus customer experiance, they agreed to extend the warranty by 6 months. Now, 5 weeks later, once again dash turns into disco lights and limp mode returns. the rac came out and once again diagnosed the problem as egr valve. guy from rac said he’d only seen 1 go before and that was on a car that hadn’t been started in over a year and had jammed. The fact that mine’s blown 2 in a month points to a deeper problem…. Queue ominous music

now, i'm meeting the dealership manager on friday morning, what can i expect from them? has anyone else experianced anything like this?

JTS

Hi all

i bought my IS220d from Lexus Belfast in oct 2006, it was pre reg'd from july but had only 4 miles on the clock. since then it has broken down 6 times!! 4 of those were 5th injector related, this was then repaired under the factory recall in sep 08. a week before christmas, the dash lights up like a christmas tree and i'm in limp mode again. this time it's diagnosed as the egr valve, i contacted lexus GB and went what can only be sescribed as 'boogaloo'! after much apologising and asuring me that this was not the normal lexus customer experiance, they agreed to extend the warranty by 6 months. Now, 5 weeks later, once again dash turns into disco lights and limp mode returns. the rac came out and once again diagnosed the problem as egr valve. guy from rac said he’d only seen 1 go before and that was on a car that hadn’t been started in over a year and had jammed. The fact that mine’s blown 2 in a month points to a deeper problem…. Queue ominous music

now, i'm meeting the dealership manager on friday morning, what can i expect from them? has anyone else experianced anything like this?

JTS

My 220d is just approaching 3 years old, 37,000 on the clock and until Christmas I'd had no real problems, had a couple of intermittent probs like the O/S mirror not tilting, but that cleared itself. Then, on the Saturday b4 Xmas I was on the M4 when I had the xmas tree lights come on, and slowed to a crawl. After waiting for the AA for an hour, the Motorway Agency guys asked me to drive to the next services even at 20mph, and they'd follow, on the hard shoulder. As it happened although I had all the warning lights, I now had power back and sailed to the services at 70+. The AA came out and sure enough diagnosed it as the egr; took it apart and found nothing wrong with it, reset the compiuter and all has been well since.

The guys from the Motorway Agency knew what the problem would be as soon as I described what had happened, they drive deisel RAV 4's, and get the same problem! In thier case it's apparently caused by the engine sitting ticking over for long periods. In my case the AA tech reckoned it was a computer glitch as the valve looked like it had just left the factory. Seems the problem is more likely to be that than mechanical.

Just wish there was a way to reset the computer without resorting to one of the breakdown agencies. I think also the diesels are a bit of a 'black box' to Lexus UK. They really don't understand how Oil burners work, or it appears that way. Wonder if anyone in the Toyota OC group has reported similar problems.

I'll get a petrol one next time!!

As far as Lexus GB are concerned, I think they lost the plot a long time ago, too many platitudes and not enough 'sorting the problem out'.

Hi all

JTS

sorry too here of your problems,do you do a lot of urban driving?

try and get a new car off em mate. there must be something u can do.

I doubt it...not after all this time...

Adrian Pearce (a member here) did manage to reject his, after going to a Mag (Can't remember whether it was Autocar or Whatcar), but even then it was a lease car and Lexus replaced it for another at the same monthly rate (though upgraded it to SEL???). I think it was on Honest John's website too...you might want to have a go and site that example...

People make it sound easy when it comes to rejecting cars...in reality it ain't. I tried after only 4 weeks of sucking on my Lemon and got no where...though some people on this forum have (with other marques).

Good luck matey.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links