Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Music Players

Parthiban

After reinstalling my machine, and then putting WMP11 back on, it's running really incredibly slow, if you click on anything it takes 3-4 seconds to respond. Any particular reason why it would be doing that?

On a separate note, thought I'd give iTunes a go as this was annoying me, but while that was running fine, it has a bizarre way of sorting albums. When tracks often have different contributing artists, it sorts them as different albums. I'm guessing there must be a simple fix for this but I can't seem to find it, can anyone help?

For iTunes mate think you just select the tunes off that CD, right click and click Properties I think it is, then on the info tab there should be a compilation button - just make sure that is selected and it should sort it.

Personally I seem to use iTunes differently to all my mates and just sort each album into a different playlist whereas they just bung everything into the single playlist and depend on the metadata - swings and roundabouts really.

Can't seem to find that, there seems to be tons of sort options but not one that does that! Yep maybe you do need to just have a playlist for each album..............also is there a dynamic update of the library? It doesn't seem to add new files to the library :unsure:

I don't actually have an iPod which is why I've never used iTunes before, but considering getting one so thought I'd see how iTunes works but it doesn't seem quite as straightforward as I'd have imagined for an apple product - didn't think WMP would be easier to use!

Besides it doesn't seem possible to sync to any device other than an iPod/iPhone so I'll still be using WMP........

It should just be select the lot using the shift key, and then right click get info and there's a compilation tickbox somewhere there?

Cheers mate, found it now and it works fine.

Is a bit of a faff and ridiculously time consuming though for a pretty simple task it should be able to do on it's own..........is that really the only way to do it? And do you need to do that even if you download from iTunes or does it do it right with those tracks?

Where's Tyger, would like to see him explain why it's better to have your albums all over the place :P

I find media monkeys better esp for connecting with my ipod.

Just looked at their site, might give it a go if my windows media player doesn't sort itself out - does it sync playlists as well as that's one of the things that annoys me about WMP?

winamp all the way

Forgot about winamp, used to use it years ago and then left it behind after WMP got much better, does that do everything properly?

as far as im aware it does

This is getting really confusing now, when WMP is not running, everything is fine, and CPU usage is under 5%.

Then when I open WMP, everything slows down, PC sounds like it's working overtime, and CPU usage shoots up to over 90%. This is without doing anything, just leaving the computer with WMP open.

Has anyone else experienced this before? There seem to be lots of instances of it off a google search, but no explanation or cure........

Parthiban: There is a reason so many people use iTunes has a 70% market share of music downloads.

When you get used to it you will find that it is very flexible and you can configure it to do as you please.

Have a nosey round the store - there is LOADS of free content.

WMP? Please.

Ok figured it out, I'm not yet sure what was causing it but something in my "My Videos" folder was getting WMP stuck when it was trying to add it to the library - removed it from the list of watch folders and all is fine now :)

Parthiban: There is a reason so many people use iTunes has a 70% market share of music downloads.

When you get used to it you will find that it is very flexible and you can configure it to do as you please.

Not necessarily true mate, it has such a high market share because everyone has an iPod, not necessarily because it's the best piece of software. The fact that people with iPods use other software almost verifies the fact that it doesn't suit everybody.

However, not gonna argue about that as if I had an iPod I'm sure I'd use iTunes as well..........

My question though, is that why can WMP sort my albums out fine based on title, yet iTunes can't if each track has different artists and divides them all up as separate albums?

Have to admit I'd assume store bought CDs all group together automatically, I think the problem with imported CDs is that it brings the data from something like Gracenote CDDB and that doesn't support all of the same metadata that iTunes does.

Have to admit I use iTunes on the Mac and use that for sending stuff over to the iPod and Iphone and then on Windows I use Winamp, I don't use any of the management functions though, just purely play a track at a time or an M3U if it's an album :)

I mainly listen to downloaded radioshows which are all two hours long and just down the cuesheet and then play that in Winamp, it's great!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links