Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sticking Brake Caliper Repair

Lochie

Hi guys,

my front near side caliper had a stuck piston, (top one) I pushed back the piston several times and now it seems ok. But Pads were worn unevenly (approx 1mm left, other side about 7-8mm :o) and the disc seems worn compared to the other side.

So I decided to replace discs and pads and use a caliper repair kit to repair the caliper. (as on this thread- Click here

Which grease to use on new piston seals ??? :unsure: . Online lexus manual says “Lithium soap base glycol grease” any help would be appreciated very much.

Also, dealer quoted £152 for discs and 64 for pads, So I’m thinking of mintex pads and discs on e bay.

I saw many here are happy with mintex pads and discs.

What do you get in the box? Does it come with shims etc or just pads?

You might want to try www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk if you want OEM discs and pads.

I bought some OEM discs and pads from them in December for £180 inc. delivery- cheaper than my local Lexus dealer.

Thanks for the link, yes £180 is certainly less than that, But I want to keep the cost to a minimum as some other long postponed things needs to be done soon(cam belt etc)

After reading many recommendations here I think mintex discs and pads worth a try for about half the cost of OEM.

For the caliper, I’m thinking of getting the repair kit as it includes both sides and slide pin boots etc.

Lubricant is the problem.

Has anyone ever used or know some alternative to this Lithium soap base grease?

I would say go with Mintex, I have them all round now and no problems.

As for grease, I would not put any grease on new piston seals, they should clip into a groove on the piston. Before putting the pistons back in use CLEAN brake fluid to ease the piston in. For things like the caliper slides use copper slip.

This is the stuff I use Antiseize Compound

I would say go with Mintex, I have them all round now and no problems.

Hope this mintex set is not fake,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEXUS-IS200-MINTEX-F...Q2em118Q2el1247

(Item no: 260121808882) has anyone bought this set? What do you get in mitex box? Just pads or all shims etc.?

As for grease, I would not put any grease on new piston seals, they should clip into a groove on the piston. Before putting the pistons back in use CLEAN brake fluid to ease the piston in. For things like the caliper slides use copper slip.

This is the stuff I use Antiseize Compound

ah.... that’s great if I can use brake fluid for seals then. But I’m not sure whether to use copper slip for slides, I remember reading somewhere that copper slip is not good for rubber boot on slider etc. I thought copper slip only for shims etc. is that right?

I’ve got this Carlube copper aniti-seize thing, hope that’s ok.

I've bought from them in the past with no problems, box comes with discs and pads only.

And the copper stuff you have will do the job OK, I've used a thin smear of it on caliper slides before and I do put it on the back of the pads as well and between the anti squeel shims.

Thanks MacRS200, I think I got it correctly now. So I will have to re-use old Anti-squeal springs and shims etc?

Had a discussion with the dealer regarding this Lithium stuff and apparently this grease comes with the repair kit. :)

Ordered one and will post what’s included when I get the kit.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links