Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel Gauge Stopped Working?

Hi,i have been working away for the last 3 weeks and have not had use of my car,so on Tuesday when i went to start her up the Battery was flat,so removed Battery from the car and charged up over night.Next morning put the Battery back into the car and she started right up but now the fuel gauge is not working and after about 30 seconds the low fuel light comes on and flashes continuously,everything else is working fine.

There is a floater type thingy in the fuel tank that measures the petrol, i guess since its been sitting for a while its got stuck pressumably telling the car there is little or no fuel,

A mate has a damged or stuck floater in his 3series apparantly quite a difficult job....after contacting BMW for a price....he's decided he can live without the fuel gauge lol

Hi,i have been working away for the last 3 weeks and have not had use of my car,so on Tuesday when i went to start her up the battery was flat,so removed battery from the car and charged up over night.Next morning put the battery back into the car and she started right up but now the fuel gauge is not working and after about 30 seconds the low fuel light comes on and flashes continuously,everything else is working fine.

Thank's for the reply but i know it's not the float in the tank because i remember looking at how much fuel i had in before i tried to start the car and it showed over a quarter of a tank,when i tried to start the car thats when i realised it was about flat,can't understand why its stopped working and the fuel light is flashing as all i did was remove the Battery and put it back,it's not as if i had been messing about near the tank and could of knocked something.

I have a very similar problem to this. My fuel gauge reads ok but the low level warning LED flashes constantly from the second the engine is running. I always thought it was something in the wiring that I had changed when doing the engine swap but I could never be sure as I knew I had not touched anything to do with the fuel gauge.

It is quite an annoying problem as the light is constantly visible. As my gauge reads ok I was just gonna remvove the LED but I really would rather have it working again.

Going by some info that I kindly recieved regarding my fuel gauge issue, it seems that you have a problem with your sender unit. It states that if the gauge reads empty and the light flashes then it isn't getting a signal from the sender unit in the tank. I am sure if you speak to lexus or an auto-electrician they could pin-point the cause for you.

Before you go any further try this, I had exactly the same issue with my IS200.

Open your fuel cover

Grab the white sheath with your index and middle finger

Pull it up and down and sideways a couple of times

Start your car

Hopefully this should fix it, it worked fine on mine.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links