Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400h Reversing Lights

I have recently bought a RX400h,(2007 and only 9000miles). However I find the reversing lights very feeble. Is this just me (or my car,) or do others agree? Has anyone any cures as I have to reverse into a dark and twisty entrance at home? Otherwise the car is great - approx 30mpg including towing a big caravan and fast open road driving.

Welcome to the Dark Side (i.e. the back end of an RX...). They are pretty pathetic as supplied. However, there is a little metal shield thing that fits over each of the reversing lights whose purpose, unless I'm missing something, is to cut down the light emitted. No idea why. These can be removed, it involves removing the plastic trim from inside the tailgate and after that just popping out the lamp cluster etc. Takes maybe ten minutes, and causes no damage. Instructions in pdf format are in several places elsewhere on the Owners Club forums - I found a link in a thread titled 'Upgrades To Reversing Lights & Phone Speaker?' which I used and works for me. Best of luck

I have recently bought a RX400h,(2007 and only 9000miles). However I find the reversing lights very feeble. Is this just me (or my car,) or do others agree? Has anyone any cures as I have to reverse into a dark and twisty entrance at home? Otherwise the car is great - approx 30mpg including towing a big caravan and fast open road driving.

I recently took delivery of a new RX400h and was surprised at how poor the reversing lights are. Compared to my old Volvo they are hopeless. I have been looking at other threads and there seems to be a general feeeling amongst club members that the lights need to be improved. I am currently researching LED replacements but no succes so far.

Don't feel bad! Reverse lights are poor across the range on the RX. I can't understand how Lexus can over look something as simple as this and this is even before you realise the reverse camera doesn't work well under low light conditions either...I wonder if the 'new' RX has had this rectified any of these 'issues'?

• 2 weeks later...

I have tracked down what I think may be an LED replacement for the standard bulb but I can't access the rear of the light cluster to check the fitting. The handbook simply says "remove the upper back door trim board" and "remove the lower back door trim board" but I can't see how to do this. They appear to clip in but I don't want to force them in case there is some particular technique. Can anyone advise me?

They do just clip in, using about eight fairly sturdy plastic clips. It's just a case of gritting your teeth, getting the trim away from the back far enough to get fingers under, then pulling firmly. Then there's a bang and it comes away. It's all a bit tense, though.

• Like 1

The clips are pretty meaty and stay attached to either the car or the panel, can't remember which. Basically there's this moment in the removal process where you say to yourself 'I can't believe it's this difficult, surely I've overlooked a screw fastening or something, why am I doing this?', then a bit more heave, and then they come away with a few big pops. Reassembling is just a case of lining the panel up against the holes and thumping them back into place. The link earlier in this thread has some pictures of what it's supposed to look like, and a couple of tips about reseating the rubber seals etc.

Have fun...

• Like 1

I have tracked down what I think may be an LED replacement for the standard bulb but I can't access the rear of the light cluster to check the fitting. The handbook simply says "remove the upper back door trim board" and "remove the lower back door trim board" but I can't see how to do this. They appear to clip in but I don't want to force them in case there is some particular technique. Can anyone advise me?

Can you report back on the LED bulbs. I have the same concern about the reversing lights and would love to know of an easy solution...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi I am interested to hear if the LED lamps are an improvement and if so where did you get them?

Cheers

• Like 1

Has anyone else had this problem, I was reversing when the camera picture became scrambled, lines and static on the picture then completely went black. Taking out of reverse picture returned OK to map display, putting back in reverse same thing happened. Switched off and tried again later everything back to normal and it has not happened since. Vehicle still in warranty so might ask Lexus Chester their opinion, just wondering if this is the start of something.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my rx400 for a couple of months now and have also found the reversing lights are poor.Rather than totally removing the bulb shields , i carefully cut the ends off with a thin cutting disc on a grinder.This allowed light to be shone directly rearwards , reflect light directly downwards behind the bumper and it has not left a visible hole around the bulb.

i have found some LED bulbs on eBay.com ( America ) that are direct replacements but it will cost to have them shipped over, however i have found some on eBay ( uk ) for £7.17 that may be suitable - they need to be canbus able to prevent errors being displayed on the dash.

I will report back next weekend when i fit them.

• 8 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links