Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mount My Amp Upside Down?

hi guys,

just wanted some opinions on this before i do it,

i'm going to install my amp and sub today, i was thinking of putting the amp under the parcel shelf in between the cutouts for the rear 6x9's, i know its not a flat surface so i was thinking of drilling the bolt holes and using some longish bolts with spacer tubes to fix the amp ~40mm off of the surface (esentually bolting it too the parcel shelf with some 40mm stilts too clear the unsmooth surface, the amp would be held firm, no way of bouncing about, i'll use - hole in parcel shelf - 8mm bolt / washer - 40mm spacer - washer - amp - washer - lock nut and clamp down tight.)

anyone see a problem with this idea?

i'd really like to put it upside down under the parcel shelf out of sight rather than bolt too back of seats, think it'll look neater

depends on the amp but i would say no..

heat sinks are on the top/sides to disperse the heat.. if its upside down then as im sure all know,heat rises. this could cause thermal overload..

will it clear the boot torsion bars too??

again depends on amp/sub..

if its a powerful sub then not advised as the vibrations can make components work lose especially on cheap amps. if the screws are too long then you can also break the seal of the box..

as stav says you can, i too have done this in the past with no problems, but best to be aware of worst case scenario! can also cause you a prob if you need to use the boot space and remove trhe sub as you then also need to remove the amp and undo all the wiring into it!

i would advise the back of the seats on an a trimmed mdf panel to hide the wires. easiest sand safest option

yeah, i did think of the problem about taking the sub out, i'll do as you said and put it on a mdf board at some point this week, for now i've fixed it with some short dumpy screws too the sub, not pretty but at least i've got some bass at last

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with fitting the amp upside down is usually poor heat dissapation, as Redz suggested above,

neat MDF panel with the wiring hidden is porbably the best bet, or mounted on the sub box. also if you are

going down this route I have seen some chunky quick release connector blocks online that can be used for

the power wiring for quick release/box removal.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links