Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wing Mirror Issue

hi guys im hoping you can help me out here

iv had a problem with my passengers side wing mirror for a while now and not had much luck getting it sorted and finally gave up on it untill i had i think about it the other day and now am back on the trail of sorting it out

firstly the problem:

i cannot move the glass via the electrical controls on the drivers side door,

what iv tried so far is the motor is fine, the mirror opens and closes with the fold button on the drivers side

i stripped the pannels off and swopped the mirrors over to test the mirror itself isnt faulty (drivers side to passenger vice versa) the mirror works fine,

i then changed the actual control unit on the drivers side to make sure it wasnt that what was faulty, (which it wasnt and still have the problem)

checked all the connections and cables in both doors pannels and everything appears correct and fine

so i was stumped now the hinch i have is it is something to do with the installation of a parrot kit about a year ago

is it possible the the live wire or one of the wires from the parrot kit (which was installed and soldered to some wires in the passangers side kick pannel wiring) got linked into the wire for the mirror thus taking the power to the parrot kit once the ignition is on?

is this possible and do the wing mirror electrics run down there

i cant ever remember if the mirror worked after the kit was installed because there was never really any need to move the mirrors until my mum borrowed the car and told me it wasnt working

any help appreceiated

thanks

Yes, the passenger mirror wiring does run down in the passenger side kick panel. It's certainly possible that a wire has become disconnected and that's why it doesn't work any more.

The relevant wires are all pink, one has a black stripe, another a green stripe and another a blue stripe.

Yes, the passenger mirror wiring does run down in the passenger side kick panel. It's certainly possible that a wire has become disconnected and that's why it doesn't work any more.

The relevant wires are all pink, one has a black stripe, another a green stripe and another a blue stripe.

right ive checked all the wires and everything seems as it should so anymore ideas

thanks

I have a bare wing mirror unit. If it is the motor thats gone, I might be able to help.

Kaz.

@ kaz - the motor inside the mirror works fine as when i put the mirror onto the drivers side it worked without problem so i know the mirror is good

@ stevie - no the ming mirror doesnt move either way it just folds in

right ive been doing a bit of troubleshooting on this wing mirror ive tested all the connections and made sure there is no loose wirese etc

ive also used a voltage tester to test the pulses along the wing mirrors wiring when the control unit is pressed and the mirror should move, iv tested this right from the control connections itself all the way down to the passengers side kick pannel and all is fine

the only thing i can think is the wiring is knackered from the passangers kick pannel up to the mirror (test that this afternoon when i have another pair of hands to press the button)

but if that shows fine what would be the next course of action, i know the mirror works as i have tested it so i know there is nothing physically wrong with the mirror itself

help please

yeah, i put the mirror on the drivers side terminal which works and the mirror worked fine which would suggest the internals of the mirror are good

switch problem????

Col

surely, if you have tested the connections and wiring in the mirror and all seems fine - i.e. its getting voltage, then the motors should move! Have you tried the mirror from the other side - just a thought!

yeah i tried the other mirror it didnt work on that side

refering to my ealier post regarding testing the passenger kick pannel and wine mirror connector block i have found that 1 of the wires (pink with black stripe) to no work so it mus be broken somewhere getting from the drivers side to the passengers side

i have done a quick test bought some wire and hooken it up as a replacment pink black cable from the drivers door terminal to the wing mirror terminal on the passenger side thus bypassing the faulty area and the mirror works

so now just need to get my soldering kit out and solder in the new wire and all should be good to go fingers X'd

just need to find my dam'd service book now

The pink wire with black stripe is common to both the up-down and side-to-side movement motors, so if that is broken then you wouldn't be able to make the mirror move. So that makes sense, because if it was just one wire out of the other two pink wires that had broken, that would only prevent movement one way and it should still work the other way.

yeah,

ive tested with some fresh wire and the mirror works so i definately know that wire is broken somewhere between the drivers side and passenger side kick pannels

if im not bypassing the 2 fuse boxes in the pannels its just a simple job of patching in the new wire right?

ive tested with some fresh wire and the mirror works so i definately know that wire is broken somewhere between the drivers side and passenger side kick pannels

if im not bypassing the 2 fuse boxes in the pannels its just a simple job of patching in the new wire right?

Yep, should be fine.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links