Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

hi just changed my drive belt on my mk1 gs300 by an idependent machanic drove it home where i spent the best part of 4hours washing and polishing in this heat when i finally finished i thought id take some pics to post on here took the gs for a spin to find all the warning lights on checked all the fluids and all are ok as are the lights i have had a new Battery fitted yesterday has anyone experienced this type of fault before as i will be taking it back to the garage tommorrow just in case if its a sensor which has not been fitted properly but all the plugs and connectors are on securely as far as i can see tried resetting ecu but no joy any ideas of what it could be

i have checked the voltage of the alternator and the reading has come up around 12.3 am i correct in thinking that this is low and should be around the 14.7 mark if so alternater will need changing will this resolve the warning lights apperaing on the dash

which lights are lit up? When my alternator packed up, just the altenator light was on to start with. As the voltage got lower the check engine light then came on, followed shortly after by the abs light. Voltage should be in the 14's so does sound like either a dodgy connection or a buggered altenator. Easy enough to change with minimal tools.

i have dropped the car to the garage to have the alterntor fitted will i need to reset the ecu to delete the warning lights out or will it automatically disappear once the new alternor is fitted any advice will greatly be appreciated as i am cruising around in an fto wich is fun but i miss my GS

job a goodun got the alternater fitted all the lights are gone car is 100% as it should be and as a treat popped down to dvla nottingham and banged my private plate on gettin closer to the vip mode got the rsr springs and aristo strut brace delivered last week so know its time to save up for the wheels thanks to all for your contribution

job a goodun got the alternater fitted all the lights are gone car is 100% as it should be and as a treat popped down to dvla nottingham and banged my private plate on gettin closer to the vip mode got the rsr springs and aristo strut brace delivered last week so know its time to save up for the wheels thanks to all for your contribution

great news mate

I've got R*SR springs mine, good choice B)

thanks mate just wondering how much arch gap do you have i am guesing by your signature pic you have 18's on any rubbing and if i went for 19's will i still have enough clearance

Hi All,

I am having a similar problem with my GS300 lights are showing on dash have checked fluids and they are ok... seems to be over heating but i get no warning for this... steering goes hard and lights on dash flash could this also be alternator ?

Any in put I would be grateful.

Les.

thanks mate just wondering how much arch gap do you have i am guesing by your signature pic you have 18's on any rubbing and if i went for 19's will i still have enough clearance

Drop was only a tad more overall than the "Sport" springs anyway. They may do more than one spring so drop could be different from yours (although only seen RS*R Downs, and RS*R Race). Yeah, I have 18's, with the 10" wide on the rear. No rubbing issues.

Hi All,

I am having a similar problem with my GS300 lights are showing on dash have checked fluids and they are ok... seems to be over heating but i get no warning for this... steering goes hard and lights on dash flash could this also be alternator ?

Les.

What makes you think it is over heating? Is the temp guage reading fine?

Lights flashing on and steering assistance fluctuating sounds like a slipping fan/alternator/auxilary belt to me.

Hi All,

Les.

Lights flashing on and steering assistance fluctuating sounds like a slipping fan/alternator/auxilary belt to me.

Hi,

It doesn't show as over heating but it does over heat, also today the Battery was flat would the above cause this?

Thanks.

Les

Hi All,

Les.

Hi,

It doesn't show as over heating but it does over heat, also today the Battery was flat would the above cause this?

Thanks.

Les

If the fan belt is slipping enough to never charge the Battery it will go flat eventually. Or if the altenator is not working properly the same will apply. If the altenator light is on almost permanently, it will most certainly not be charging. having said that, the altenator failing would not effect the power steering so the belt still looks favourite. The tensioner for the belt is spring loaded, so is not adjustable as such, if the belt has stretched too much, it may not be able to take up any more slack.

You say it isn't showing as overheating, how do you know it is over heating? Is the coolant full? If the fan belt is slipping or is broken, then the water pump will not be turning and the coolant won't be circulating. If this is the case, I would refrain from driving the car until the belt is sorted. Continued overheating may lead to head gasket failure, which is an expensive repair.

Hi All,

Les.

Hi,

Thanks.

Les

If the fan belt is slipping enough to never charge the Battery it will go flat eventually. Or if the altenator is not working properly the same will apply. If the altenator light is on almost permanently, it will most certainly not be charging. having said that, the altenator failing would not effect the power steering so the belt still looks favourite. The tensioner for the belt is spring loaded, so is not adjustable as such, if the belt has stretched too much, it may not be able to take up any more slack.

You say it isn't showing as overheating, how do you know it is over heating? Is the coolant full? If the fan belt is slipping or is broken, then the water pump will not be turning and the coolant won't be circulating. If this is the case, I would refrain from driving the car until the belt is sorted. Continued overheating may lead to head gasket failure, which is an expensive repair.

I know its over heating because it boils, but temp gauge shows normal.... also how would i know if the tensioner needs replacing?

thanks for the help.

Hi All,

Les.

Hi,

Thanks.

Les

I know its over heating because it boils, but temp gauge shows normal.... also how would i know if the tensioner needs replacing?

thanks for the help.

As far as the tensioner goes, I guess all you can do is check that a) it is still spring loaded and has not seized in a set position, b ) that the has not lost its "spring" and gone floppy so to speak, and c) check it still spins ok. If it is fine on all counts I can't see a reason to change it. The spring in it is pretty strong, so if you can easily move the tensioner pulley, then it may not be tensioning very well. It took quite a lot of effort to move mine back against the spring to get the belt off when I changed my altenator.

Hi All,

Les.

Hi,

Thanks.

Les

thanks for the help.

As far as the tensioner goes, I guess all you can do is check that a) it is still spring loaded and has not seized in a set position, b ) that the has not lost its "spring" and gone floppy so to speak, and c) check it still spins ok. If it is fine on all counts I can't see a reason to change it. The spring in it is pretty strong, so if you can easily move the tensioner pulley, then it may not be tensioning very well. It took quite a lot of effort to move mine back against the spring to get the belt off when I changed my altenator.

I had the altenator checked and need a new one so i am going to replace that and drive belt and am going to keep my fingers crossed that this will cure my problems.

Thanks for all your advice you hae been very helpful.

Les.

Hi All,

Les.

Hi,

Thanks.

Les

thanks for the help.

I had the altenator checked and need a new one so i am going to replace that and drive belt and am going to keep my fingers crossed that this will cure my problems.

Les.

Let us know how you get on mate. If it were me, I would do the belt first just because of your other symptoms, then do the altenator if there are still problems. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi All,

Les.

Hi,

Thanks.

Les

thanks for the help.

Les.

Let us know how you get on mate. If it were me, I would do the belt first just because of your other symptoms, then do the altenator if there are still problems. Good luck.

Ok I took your advice and replaced the belt i also replaced the themostat i am still getting some problems still getting water washer light Battery light and oil light showing on dash when i turn hard right. still getting very hot but still showing normal on gauge top hose is very hot themostat hose only warm on tick over everything is normal.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Les

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links