Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

No doubt its been asked before, but i would like it from the horses mouth, so to speak.

How close are these two cars, taking the bmw's handling out of it, as that only realy comes in to its own when driven at a fair old pace.

Im talking about real world every day driving, i ask because i have the bmw and am thinking about the is 250, both auto.

Hi Tinka

i have a 250 auto, and i can tell you i wouldn't swap it for all the BMWs in the world except maybe for the 3 series convertible, but now that the 250 c is coming out i won't even have that problem.

i drove all the german rivals and i found that the lexus was the best all rounder for everyday driving. it is soft enough over the bumps to be comfortable, but is really agile and sure footed at the same time. i firmly believe that unless you are going to be doing serious track time etc there is absolutely nothing between them as far as the drive goes. i used to do rally driving back in africa, so i still like to accasionally 'stretch her legs' and i still get the excitement and thrill from the lex.

where they are worlds apart is in the spec, and the attitude of the dealers to customer service. when i specced up the bmw to have anywhere close to the spec of the lexus it was at least 3k more, and i was disgusted with the attitude of the few dealers in my area. they all treated me like they were doing me a favour 'allowing' me to drive and purchase their car.

with lexus, i was treated like royalty from the second i walked through the door. i have many friends and colleagues with the bmw and they have far more problems with theirs than i have ever had with either of the lexus models i have had - the worst problem i have with mine is a few rattles :).

and another point to make - everyone and his mate buys the 3 series and they are now more common than mondeos whereas with the lexus there is still a air of exclusivity ;)

anyway, that is how i feel and i would wholeheartedly reccomend the 250 auto any day.

good luck

Forget the difference in spec for a minute. The 250 auto is a much quieter, smoother, more refined and better looking car than the 320d. BMW dealers in the main get a bad press, Lexus dealers in the main get a good press. It's got to be the driving experience that convinces you, the better spec is a bonus.

Refinement is whats making me feel the need to change back to petrol, the interior of the IS, is also special.

Yep for me the interior of the 3 series is a big problem, compared to the IS, A4 and possibly even the C class it really is very poor. I actually think the IS250 has pretty decent handling, it's quite neutral - the only thing I don't like is that the steering doesn't give you a whole lot of feel, but that adds to the luxury nature of the car.

Your comparison is deeply flawed because you are comparing a diesel to a petrol. Manufacturers aside, the two engines deliver power differently and the characteristics are so different that it would be hard to draw any appropriate comparator.

Now, if you were to ask should I buy an IS diesel or a BMW diesel? The answer is very clear cut (BMW!) :)

However if your question is: Should buy an IS250 or a BMW, then you should compare the six-cylinder Lexus with similar from BMW, that being the 330i...and again, the answer is very clear cut...BMW.

I appreciate that 'everyone' has a 3 Series - but there is a reason for that. It is the car that sets a standard and people (everyone?) aspires to owing one. We all need houses and have them - does that devalue them in some way? OK housing is a need, but so is having a 'proper' driver focused car ;)

Hang on, everyone knows the 3 series is the benchmark when it comes to "driveability" but the OP is talking about getting more refinement and comfort from his car. Also I don't see your logic - it's unfair to talk about the 320d against the IS250 but the automatic comparator for the IS250 should be the 330? Why not the 325?

For most people who drive on the road and don't take their car on a track, they're not really going to notice the minute handling differences between the IS and the 3, so it all comes down to which one provides the best all round package.

And finally even if you were comparing petrols, it's not clear cut that it's the BMW. The Lexus is more refined, quieter, better looking (inside and out), better specced and will be the much more pleasant ownership experience (in relation to dealers) so shouldn't be ruled out straight off.

Hang on guys. I've done this similarly. Gone from IS220d to BMW325d (facelifted), not because Lexus was a bad car, but because I fancied a change. I also drove a 325iSE Auto and it was very impressive and recently a 318d (face lifted) which was truly incredible for the price.

You are comparing apples and pears though. Many people on here say that BMW concentrates on the driver experience, and Lexus on Luxury, and it is very true.

I have to say that differences below are very small overall, and the Lexus petrol Auto is an incredibly good car. If you want a diesel, you have question if you decide to buy a IS220d. The 250 Auto on the other hand is awesome package.

All I can say is that the BMW is slightly more consistent at more things - I know I have 6cyl diesel, but the engine when warmed up actually sounds like a grunty petrol. So smooth you won't believe and the performance and smoothness now is awesome as running in well under way. So much so that I started driving again after my operation before doctor said so!!

Handling - Where the Lexus would have stepped out at wet mini roundabouts (even with traction on the back stepped out 2-3 times), the Beemer just sticks and sticks, and the DSC comes in at just the right time to keep you pointing forwards.

The AC in the BMW is actually better - more "all round cooling" and more efficient. Faster to cool the interior down and the sun protection glass helps

BMW Sound system is Rubbish. I have the HiFi sound speakers and they are not as good as the MLS, but americans forums say the L7 is incredible, and the Individual Audio is a seriously good system.

Quietness - the Lexus suffers badly from being loud on coarse surface but very quiet on smooth new tarmac. The BMW is a happy medium all of time and makes it more bearable. I think newer vrsion of IS is better and hopefully Lexus have sorted it out.

Ride - BMW was awful in town. I gave up with RFT's and installed conventional Dunlops which are quieter. I can't tell you how much better BMW is now. It is almost perfect and difference is day and night. Jitteriness gone, smooth, almost "floating on water" on the motorway and the grip in the wet is unbelievable. Lexus was sometime hard and bouncy like wheel base is too short, the BMW is hard and poised and feels like bigger cars suspension.

Steering - BMW is very comminicating, but. actually once you get used to it you know exactly what the car is doing. Lexus too is very good.

Interior? Well let me tell you that BMW looks a little cheapy, but actually the materials fit and finish is impeccable. Every switch, knob and handle works perfectly and it feels solid. The boot is bigger and slightly lower wasteline makes rear passenger compartment feel more airy. Only one very small rattle when it's cold, and it comes from sliding armrest.

Fuel consumption is now steady at 29mpg town only and between 45-58 on a run depending the journey, speeds etc. That is actual brim calc. where Lexus was 26-30 in town and 42-48 on a run.

BMW BAD POINTS

Dealers - strange conveyor belt type feeling. You roll in and roll out feeling like you have been fleeced. Charging £35 + Vat for a standard safety check!

Too many on the road. getting too many one finger salutes.

Auto box. Lexus do make the best auto shifters I think. The BMW one can be caught out and feels lethargic almost at some time and not brilliant.

Lexus has many good points. Toys Toys Toys. What do I miss?

Cooled seats

Rear camera

Sound system

Looks

Individuality

Dealers

And that's it. The Smart Access is good too, but I am use to not having it now already.

Quality to be honest is on a par overall. BMW is well made, so is Lexus. Nothing stands out except how things look. Lexus inside looks very good. BMW looks very cheaper.

Also I too think it would be fairer to compare IS250 with BMW325SE, but the BMW would probably win for me overall. Forget the extras. No one would ver pay for cooled seats in UK - we get rarely warm weather like it is now. You wouldn't shell out £hundreds for 3 weeks every year, and I don't miss them. But I really miss the rear camera. It is a must have.

Do I regret moving to BMW? Answer is not really, but I keep coming back to this forum - so may be a little bit. May be a GS next time as I think the IS is a little too cramped for a family. GS450h next year I think. Might wait until next generation GS is launched.

That's actually a really fair comparison, agree with pretty much everything you've said - the ride issue is a weird one with the BMW, the runflats don't seem to be great but I think I'd prefer that to not having a spare..........

That's actually a really fair comparison, agree with pretty much everything you've said - the ride issue is a weird one with the BMW, the runflats don't seem to be great but I think I'd prefer that to not having a spare..........
I have temporarily some tyre weld :whistling: but am looking for a cheap kit. There is a sparewheel well it can sit in.

There is a sparewheel well it can sit in.

Really? How odd, must be that they know some will change the tyres for standard ones, or perhaps it's for the M cars which don't have runflats do they?

Thanks for all the feed back guys.

Probably wrong to ask for a comparison of 320d v is250, i know, but it seems the two cars even a 6cyl bmw a very close and the IS250 probably has the edge over my 320d, i could go for a 6cyl bmw but i always said i would never replace like for like again because it just does'nt feel different.

And if im honest, i realy do like the is and the refinement and spec it comes with.

Tinka, that is exactly why I bought the IS and moved to a BMW. I wanted the IS as it had everything, and had a fairly happy 20 months. Then time to move on, and I wanted something different. Never had a BMW before and wanted to know what the fuss was all about and every 10 car parking spaces has 3 BMW at the service station on the Motorways.

One thing is for sure. I would be happier running a Lexus out of Manufacturer warranty than any German car. SO for anyone reading, if you are going to kep out of Warranty then any Lexus petrol makes so much sense.

One thing is for sure. I would be happier running a Lexus out of Manufacturer warranty than any German car. SO for anyone reading, if you are going to kep out of Warranty then any Lexus petrol makes so much sense.

Has the BMW had a lot of problems then or just that you know the Lexus would be more reliable and the dealers are better?

No doubt its been asked before, but i would like it from the horses mouth, so to speak.

How close are these two cars, taking the bmw's handling out of it, as that only realy comes in to its own when driven at a fair old pace.

Im talking about real world every day driving, i ask because i have the bmw and am thinking about the is 250, both auto.

Hi Tinka,

got the best of both worlds - run a BMW320dMsport auto on a 57 plate and a IS250 auto se-l on a 55 plate not alot in it .Its down to your likes and wants .The IS is one good looking tool with lots of toys but has high running costs - the Beama is fast great to drive -Idrive and Bluetooth great and running costs zipo compared to the Lexus . IS gets between 25-28 mpg BMW no matter how I drive it I always get 45 plus mpg

What keys do I grab on a Sunday morning hmmm its always the IS

cheers

swager

Thanks swag,

Thats interesting, regarding the running costs, and the mpg is a bit worse than i thought, i would assume though, that it can go mid to high 30's with a light foot though (cant it).

I think mine is a bit sporty for me now, its an m-sport, and ive put carbon splitters and 19" csl wheels on it.

Thanks swag,

Thats interesting, regarding the running costs, and the mpg is a bit worse than i thought, i would assume though, that it can go mid to high 30's with a light foot though (cant it).

i currently get between 30 and 32mpg round town and between 36 and 39.5 on the motorway - with an average combined 35 since i bought mine. i am very gentle with the accelerator 95% of the time tho lol.

Thats more like it, i can live with 35mpg :) .

like i said, tho, you have to be very disciplined and not floor it from every traffic light and circle lol. i do think it's an incredibly efficient engine especially on the motorway.

if you do get one and can afford it, go for the multimedia - it is awesome with the reversing camera and plays dvd movies lol.

Oh, i drive like i have a tartan sheet and tissue box on the pacel shelf, that wont be a problem.

MM, is a must as is adaptive cruise, it will be an se-l, as well.

...even if you were comparing petrols, it's not clear cut that it's the BMW. The Lexus is more refined, quieter, better looking (inside and out), better specced and will be the much more pleasant ownership experience (in relation to dealers) so shouldn't be ruled out straight off.

Good point, I forgot about the 325! Without having researched the figures on emissions, economy and performance I'd wager the BMW returns better figures [than the IS] and consequently is a better allround proposition. And when you cosndier residuals, no doubt the BMW will also retain more of its value.

It is those qualities that make a real difference - you can have the MLS setup in the car or even the cooling seats - but you will notice MPG more as that hits your pocket directly on a day-to-day basis.

Good point, I forgot about the 325! Without having researched the figures on emissions, economy and performance I'd wager the BMW returns better figures [than the IS] and consequently is a better allround proposition. And when you cosndier residuals, no doubt the BMW will also retain more of its value.

It is those qualities that make a real difference - you can have the MLS setup in the car or even the cooling seats - but you will notice MPG more as that hits your pocket directly on a day-to-day basis.

Yes that's definitely fair to mention, numbers wise BMWs right across the range always seem to be better than the opposition - as an example the 530 almost completely matches the GS450h in every way (making its hybridness slightly redundant)

In an odd way the tables have now turned slightly, the BMW has become more of the car you buy with your head, and the Lexus has become the car that appeals more to your heart :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links