Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Revving And Gear Engaging Problem

Spinakerr

All,

Hoping someone here will recognise the following, any suggestions or comments most welcome!

I have a 1995 LS400 which has behaved admirably for the last 18 months of ownership. Recently changed the transmission fluid (yes, with Toyota type IV!) and ever since the car has behaved strangely. All the following is with the gear stick in 'D':

After stopping completely (whether a sudden stop or from crawl, from high or low speed), the car will go into neutral and will not engage into gear until revved to about 2000rpm. As you can imagine, this not only spoils the ride but also creates a hazard as the car tolls backwards on a hill. Also, gear changes are irregular and often shift at strange revs. This can also occur when taking my foot off the accelerator for a corner and then reapplying.

It is similar to not lifting the clutch in a manual - does anyone have any ideas?

We have flushed all the ancient gungy transmission fluid out, cleaned the sump and filter. We will be plugging in an OBD2 next weekend but I was really hoping somebody on here could offer some pointers - speed sensors or clutch speed sensors? Perhaps even the TPS? The hose from the bottom of the trans fluid radiator fluctuates from stiff (under pressure) to no pressure at all in 'P' with no revs.

Again, any comments much appreciated.

Thanks,

Vince

Did you do the most obvious thing and make sure the fluid level is absolutely perfect?

Trans fluid levels are critical on all makes of automatic.....

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Yes this happened with my LS430 i had to rev it higher than normal to start just like you and one day while on the motor way, when suddenly no drive. I pulled over and and no matter how much i revved the car, the car didn't move. It had to be lifted to a garage turns out after a service there was water damage into my gearbox or Gaerbox oil dirty or siezed, whole gear had disintergrated and i have now had to replace the gearbox it was a pain to find a gearbox which was affordable, So i had to buy a front end damaged LS with a good gearbox took about a year to get fixed.

ADD

Sorry but have to agree with other members in that the transmission is on its way out, the only other possibility is that you may have disturbed the wiring to the shift solenoids when you dropped the sump pan but it is unlikely.

On a more positive note you should be able to source a replacement box easier than for a 430 in fact if you PM forum member benfur (Maurice) he normally has some known good transmissions for sale at very reasonable prices but make sure you get the torque converter for the same box

• 4 weeks later...

All,

Hoping someone here will recognise the following, any suggestions or comments most welcome!

I have a 1995 LS400 which has behaved admirably for the last 18 months of ownership. Recently changed the transmission fluid (yes, with Toyota type IV!) and ever since the car has behaved strangely. All the following is with the gear stick in 'D':

After stopping completely (whether a sudden stop or from crawl, from high or low speed), the car will go into neutral and will not engage into gear until revved to about 2000rpm. As you can imagine, this not only spoils the ride but also creates a hazard as the car tolls backwards on a hill. Also, gear changes are irregular and often shift at strange revs. This can also occur when taking my foot off the accelerator for a corner and then reapplying.

It is similar to not lifting the clutch in a manual - does anyone have any ideas?

We have flushed all the ancient gungy transmission fluid out, cleaned the sump and filter. We will be plugging in an OBD2 next weekend but I was really hoping somebody on here could offer some pointers - speed sensors or clutch speed sensors? Perhaps even the TPS? The hose from the bottom of the trans fluid radiator fluctuates from stiff (under pressure) to no pressure at all in 'P' with no revs.

Again, any comments much appreciated.

Thanks,

Vince

i have ran into this problem before i have a repair sounds like you have metal

shavings stuck in the valve body try removing the trans pan and use air pressure to clean it out from a compressor hope it helps you

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links