Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

What a horrid start to the day. I started the car as usual and the VSC check light was lit up to greet me along with engine light and traction light. I rang Lexus who said the lights may go out after a while, they didn't.

I took the car to the local dealer who plugged it in to the diagnostics and I waited. I was thinking, because the car was running ok, that the tech would simply extinguish the lights and job done.

I was wrong. I was asked if I had warranty, the car is 4 years old. I haven't any warranty. I replied. After a deep breath, the chap said 'you need two oxygen sensors and an ECU'.

What? It's only 4 years old, full Lexus history, 27k miles, this can't be right, Lexus never break, do they?

Apparently early GS300's can have dodgy ECU's, they were revised later on, has anyone here had a problem?

I got the details for the repair and the total cost is.....................£3006.22. Yes, two weeks all inclusive to Mexico worth of fixing.

I rang with hope Direct Cars in Sheffield, the dealers I bought the car from 5 months ago. They rang me back and said that they had spoken to Lexus and asked me not to worry as they, Direct Cars, would foot the bill for the repair in full. I'm so relieved these guys saved the day.

I thought that I would share this with you guys just to let you know that there are some dealers out there who do care for their customers and help out. I'm so relieved that I'm not facing this bill, and yes, I am going to get a warranty!!

Are ECU's that fragile? :ohmy:

Hi Knitware.....i'm starting to believe that were in some kind of timewarp, and that we both own the same sodin car!!!!!

Went to france last month and for two days I had the same lights on, and the traction control didn't work.

The lights have now been off for 4 weeks until yesterday.....the same lights.

Only good news is today we are back to normal.

Please can I borrow 3 grand.

Rgds, Tony.

Hi Knitware.....i'm starting to believe that were in some kind of timewarp, and that we both own the same sodin car!!!!!

Went to france last month and for two days I had the same lights on, and the traction control didn't work.

Rgds, Tony.

Hi Tony, NO WAY!

This is odd! I suppose our cars were manufactured at the same time (ish).

Did you buy the same time as me, about 5 months ago?

My advise is that if the light comes on again take it to a Lexus dealer, don't ring them as the problem may as you say disappear by th time of the appointment. They should check it straight away. If it comes up with the same error codes as my car get in touch with the guys who sold you the car regardless of warranty.

I found out that consumers have buyers rights before 6 months where the garage has to prove that there was not a problem with the car at time of purchase, almost impossible to do. Therefore you then have a legal right to claim for repair of a refund of some of the purchase price to cover repair. I didn't have to quote any of the to the garage I bought the car from as they knew their of their obligations.

Also worth giving Lexus GB a ring. Apparently the ECU is a known fault on early cars and were replaced if any had a problem under the 3 year warranty, some cars slipped through the net, like ours.

I think the last time I had ECU problems was in an Austin Montego!

I hope you get this sorted and that this is the last of the problems!

UPDATE:

The Lights came on and have been on for sometime........strange thing tho........washed the car for the first time in ages yesterday (havn't bothered to with such crap weather lately).......I gave the inside of the wheels a good washout with the hose.......and...

.....the check vsc light has gone away........and today everything is back to normal too.......anybody have any idea why this could be?????

......the pursuit of perfection continues.... :whistling:

Just got back from Lexus,,,,

Faulty Oxygen Sensor.....£350.........Happy Days :crybaby:

It could have been worse but £350 is still a lot to pay for a sensor. These things are so expensive and they shouldn't be really, a sensor really is a simple piece of kit.

I still have my car to fix, nothing's progressed since the fault was diagnosed 2 weeks ago. I'll ring them tomorrow to see what the deal is.

Rgds, Tony.

Hi Tony, NO WAY!

My advise is that if the light comes on again take it to a Lexus dealer, don't ring them as the problem may as you say disappear by th time of the appointment. They should check it straight away. If it comes up with the same error codes as my car get in touch with the guys who sold you the car regardless of warranty.

I found out that consumers have buyers rights before 6 months where the garage has to prove that there was not a problem with the car at time of purchase, almost impossible to do. Therefore you then have a legal right to claim for repair of a refund of some of the purchase price to cover repair. I didn't have to quote any of the to the garage I bought the car from as they knew their of their obligations.

Also worth giving Lexus GB a ring. Apparently the ECU is a known fault on early cars and were replaced if any had a problem under the 3 year warranty, some cars slipped through the net, like ours.

Hi - yes dealers do have 6 months under sale of goods act but only for faults present when the car was sold - that is why we have warranties: for future problems. If the engine light was not on when the vehicle was sold or within a very short time of that sale then it is simply a fault that developed after sale and the dealer has no legal responsibility. Obviously they may well offer a goodwill solution. Always try to negociate a warranty and check its terms ie payout limits.

I never here of folk replacing oxygen sensors on other vehicles, yet mine will have had 3 sensors fitted since it's birth, and I read on this forum that both the IS and GS seem to get through lots of the things........is this just a Lexus thing?

Rgds, Tony.

Hi Tony, NO WAY!

Hi - yes dealers do have 6 months under sale of goods act but only for faults present when the car was sold - that is why we have warranties: for future problems. If the engine light was not on when the vehicle was sold or within a very short time of that sale then it is simply a fault that developed after sale and the dealer has no legal responsibility. Obviously they may well offer a goodwill solution. Always try to negociate a warranty and check its terms ie payout limits.

Hi,

The dealers solution, in my case, was to offer the cost of replacement of the ECU and sensors plus fitting, £3006 in total. This was good of them, in fact this was very good of them. I have since bought a warranty which includes, everything, including sensors!

I never here of folk replacing oxygen sensors on other vehicles, yet mine will have had 3 sensors fitted since it's birth, and I read on this forum that both the IS and GS seem to get through lots of the things........is this just a Lexus thing?

Do you have a warranty? I bought one through Warranty Direct and have the Extra care with the extra options for fuel ( oxygen sensors! ) and airbag cover. It is a thorough warranty, Honest John the Telegraph dude rates them as he has had no complaints and What Car sells the warranty through their mag.

It might be worth giving them a ring. I paid £400 for 12 months and it is like for like a Lexus warranty for less than half price. This price includes the work to be carried out at a Lexus dealers too.

I have had to clam from them through a previous warranty I had. The problem was a head gasket but as the car was a V6 they agreed to change both gaskets. The bill was over £1000 and I paid for the fluids and a new timing belt. So my bill for the work was £100 instead of £1000. The bill was also settled direct with the garage. A good company.

Oxygen sensors shouldn't break as often as they do surly?

There is a "reverse burden of proof" under the sale of goods act. The dealer has to prove that a fault was not present or developing at the time of sale. The fact that warning lights were not showing does not mean that the fault was not developing. It would be almost impossible for a dealer to prove that a fault was not developing at the time of sale. A lot of car sales places offer 3 months warranty so that people who are unaware of their rights don't pursue the supplier for anything after the 3 months has passed, even though they are legally covered.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links