Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

i had a new (09) base model 220d last week whilst mine was in for 60k service

to be honest, was not that impressed - could see no improvement over mine at all, if anything appeared worse! Didn't have it long enough to test out the fuel side of things but some comments I'd make........

Yes, the loan had only 2k on the clock but 6th gear just not usable below 80mph (mine quite confortably cruises at just over 70 in 6th) - suppose it could loosen up maybe?

Power appeared identical to mine, couldn't spot any difference at all

Also, not sure if this is just on the base model or not but I personally thought some of the new mods looked decidedly tacky - the darker colour roof light buttons and the new shape buttons on the drivers door for mirrors / locking. Plus that silver surround on the CD slot - sure it is not but to me looked very plastic indeed. The digital clock also has a different LED colour to it - sure it was actually different to the CD/Radio display, looked very odd to me.

And as for the auto-locking..........sure it works just fine (and agree it is a good idea) but could my passenger get out when I dropped him off? Caused a right old jam at the airport..........

Probably me being picky lie I say but much prefer my interior!

Have to also add - they had a Messa Red ISF outside when I dropped mine off - thought all my birthdays had come at once but they wouldn't let me borrow it for the day.......stunning car in every sense.......

I have had my 220d SE-I for three weeks now.

I clocked 41.8 mpg on the journey to pick up the new car and 41.6 mpg in the new one coming home.

It took 20000 miles in the SE before I could use 6th gear at 60mph. I am doing that already with the SE-I.

The gear change is much smoother in the new car, the auto locking is driving me nuts, and I miss my ML system. The chrome around the CD player looks cheap but the front and back sensors are a welcome addition. No shaking mirror, no rattles. (didn't have them in the old car.)

Still less than 400 miles on the clock, but I have just done a round trip of 120 miles with varying road conditions and got 46.9mpg. The old car was around 41 or 42 on the same trip, once reaching the dizzy heights of around 44.

I'm impressed.

Interesting responses. I had a 2009 model (3000 miles) as a Courtesy car from Lexus Bristol when mine had an oil leak fixed (second one) around the sump area.

The consumption seemed to be about 5mpg better than my 06 model. I saw 49 mpg when I got home, That was M5 from Junc 19 round to M4 Junc 18 and then X-country to Chippenham. I returned it with 46 on the clock. Mine normally does it at around 40/41. Although having the Battery disconnected has cleared the ecu memory and I git 43 last night! So it does look as if there is some improvement.

The Auto locking is a nightmare, can it be switched off! Normally you open the handle twice on cars with this feature to open the door, why not on the 220?

The base model upholstery does not look as good as the earlier version. This was in Black and it looked like thye rear seats had been scuffed. The Clock LED does seem to be green compared with the 06 model and the surrounds to the Air vents above the radio are the same as the dah now rather than the carbon effect the 06 model has. Looks better.

It might be my imagination but I thought the Wing mirrors were a bit smaller?

Also, why do we not get Car Park defenders??? There was already a chink out of the door from a car park! My 06 model is perpered with scratches and now looks awful.

Gear bos did seem smoother and I could use 6th Gear quite happily at 65. No vibrations etc. My Son even commented how quiet is was compared with the 06 model.

If I could confirm the mpg over a few days I may seriously consider another one when the Car gets changed next year. especially with the 20% tax! Beats the 3 series into the weeds when you are limite to £22.5k for a car.

The auto locking is a customisable feature, which can be disabled by the dealer.

I can't wait!

Having not driven a model with auto-lock this all sounds very confusing.

Question: You are sat in the car with your engine running, how does your front seat passenger get out of the car and is it the same procedure for the rear seat passengers.

The auto locking is a customisable feature, which can be disabled by the dealer.

I can't wait!

Having not driven a model with auto-lock this all sounds very confusing.

Question: You are sat in the car with your engine running, how does your front seat passenger get out of the car and is it the same procedure for the rear seat passengers.

They have to push the unlock button before they can open the door. It is easier for the driver to do this for passengers unfamiliar with the car. If you want to get your jacket from the back, you have to push the unlock button on the driver's door first, so yes it's the same for rear seat passengers.

• 2 months later...

I can't wait!

You don't have to - its in the handbook.

When I got my first service last year, Lexus Guildord modified the auto-locking so that it auto unlocks when you shift into park. That way when you drop off a passanger there is no need to push the unlock button and your passanger isn't left struggling with a locked door. I would recommend this.

With regards to disabling the feature yourself, there are instructions in the manual but I was told by Lexus that it doesn't work on UK Lexus models and it didn't work on mine when I tried it.

Hope this helps.

I have no idea why only the driver's door unlocks when you pull the handle - other cars have done this for years so it's over-nannying in my view, there's always the child lock if you want to stop children from opening the door.

Also opening the drivers door should unlock all the doors - another annoyance of mine.

In any case, I don't own one, but if I did I'd definitely have them swap over to the lock in D unlock in P method, had a Toyota rental car in the US that had it that way and never needed to touch the lock button.

Mine (auto) came set up as mentioned above but I altered it to " Shifting the shift lever out of P locks all doors"/"Shifting the shift lever to P unlocks all doors" by following the instructions as detailed in the handbook on page 52 and 53. It's much better the way it is now, know what you mean it was a real b... ache before.

Also on page 53 there are "Driver's door linked door unlocking function" instructions.

Customization, page 458

Function Default setting Customized setting

Opening driver's door unlocks all doors Off On

Speed-detecting automatic door lock function On Off

Sorry,

Customization page 458

.................Function...........................................Default setting..............................Customized setting

Opening driver's door unlocks all doors.....................Off...................................................

..On

Speed-detecting automatic door lock function............On......................................................Off

The original post was about the 220d. You can't shift to "P" or "D"!

I am about to book in for customisation by the dealer.

You're right Whoever, somewhere along the way the Auto was brought into the discussion, apologise for pepetuating it.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway, events have overtaken me, the price has shot up for the base model and they have deleted Cruise Control.

No more Lexus for me.

Its off to the Mazda 6 sport for me, more power, more toys and probably a more reliable and economical engine!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links