Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ive had my 1999 Mk2 GS300 for the last 9 years during which time it has proved to be extreamly reliable and I have only had to replace consumables during this time. I am now thinking of changing it for an early (2005) Mk3 and have become a bit concerned about the recent threads detailing some expensive problems (such a ECU's, oxygen sensors etc.) with the early cars. Can anyone tell me of all the known problems with the early Mk3 cars and, if possible, when they were corrected so that I can try to get the most relyable model year.

Regards,

Peter

Ive had my 1999 Mk2 GS300 for the last 9 years during which time it has proved to be extreamly reliable and I have only had to replace consumables during this time. I am now thinking of changing it for an early (2005) Mk3 and have become a bit concerned about the recent threads detailing some expensive problems (such a ECU's, oxygen sensors etc.) with the early cars. Can anyone tell me of all the known problems with the early Mk3 cars and, if possible, when they were corrected so that I can try to get the most reliable model year.

Regards,

Peter

Guys & Gals, there must be someone out there who can provide me with the information I seek so please, let me have your views.

Regards,

Peter

Can't help specifically, but a Lexus dealer whould be able to tell you if any car you are looking at has had these issues fixed.

Thanks TigerFish but I would really like to know what the issus are before I try to discuss them with the lexus dealer.

regards,

Peter.

Hi Mr Gremlin,

As far as I can Tell you need to check that the following safety checks have been done.

1) Replace Steering Rack

2) Replace Rear Brake Calipers

3) Replace part of Fuel Line

4) may also be wise to see if the ECU has been replaced and if not is it part of the dodgy batch that need replacing.

Enjoy! :whistling:

Hi Mr Gremlin,

As far as I can Tell you need to check that the following safety checks have been done.

1) Replace Steering Rack

4) may also be wise to see if the ECU has been replaced and if not is it part of the dodgy batch that need replacing.

I think I may well be selling mine soon and it has had all the above replaced.

Hi Mr Gremlin,

1) Replace Steering Rack

Thanks for the information TonyB. If anyone has anything to add to this list, please feel free to do so.

Knitware. Thanks for the comment. Its likely to be a month or more before I may be in a position to change but I will bear in mind your comment

regards,

Peter.

Hi Mr Gremlin,

1) Replace Steering Rack

Thanks for the information TonyB. If anyone has anything to add to this list, please feel free to do so.

Knitware. Thanks for the comment. Its likely to be a month or more before I may be in a position to change but I will bear in mind your comment

regards,

Peter.

No probs. A month is good for me too. I wish that I knew the problems before I bought and now I've had them sorted my ownership experience has been marred. The car is great........now!

Take care,

John

Hi Mr Gremlin,

1) Replace Steering Rack

Can anyone tell in which model year all the above potential problems had been fixed.

Regards,

Peter

Hi there,

I have had my Jan 2006 GS300SE-L for 8 months now. I recently went to Lexus Newcastle and they said that the power steering linkage and rear calipers needed changing as a service campaign. All was changed free of charge, no problems at all. Make sure yours has these done.

Also make sure all 4 tyre perssure sensors are working and in good condition. Some aftermarket valve caps can corrode on very easily and the valve snaps when you try to take the cap off. 200 - 300 pounds to fix and they must be set up by computer at Lexus ! One of mine was snapped by a quick fit fitter a week before I bought it, luckily I insisted that it was fixed before I bought.

One other thing to note is that due to the new road tax rules any GS300 registered after March 2006 has a road tax of 400 pounds or so for a year. Go for one pre March 2006 and the road tax is only 225 or so for a year. Cant remember the exaxt numbers and dates but Parkers road tax calculator will give you the details. Subtle difference but worth noting.

Mine is Jan 2006 so I pay the lower tax saving 200 quid a year. :winky:

Oh and mpg is good for a 3 litre, around 27 combined, 35 long journeys.

Enjoy !

Hi there,

I have had my Jan 2006 GS300SE-L for 8 months now. I recently went to Lexus Newcastle and they said that the power steering linkage and rear calipers needed changing as a service campaign. All was changed free of charge, no problems at all. Make sure yours has these done.

Also make sure all 4 tyre perssure sensors are working and in good condition. Some aftermarket valve caps can corrode on very easily and the valve snaps when you try to take the cap off. 200 - 300 pounds to fix and they must be set up by computer at Lexus ! One of mine was snapped by a quick fit fitter a week before I bought it, luckily I insisted that it was fixed before I bought.

One other thing to note is that due to the new road tax rules any GS300 registered after March 2006 has a road tax of 400 pounds or so for a year. Go for one pre March 2006 and the road tax is only 225 or so for a year. Cant remember the exaxt numbers and dates but Parkers road tax calculator will give you the details. Subtle difference but worth noting.

Mine is Jan 2006 so I pay the lower tax saving 200 quid a year. :winky:

Oh and mpg is good for a 3 litre, around 27 combined, 35 long journeys.

Enjoy !

Thanks Dilbert D, very usefull information.

Peter.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links