Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My New Ls400 - Update And Some Advice Required

Well, it’s been 2 weeks since I bought my K reg 1992 LS400 and so far I am very impressed. The comfort and performance of the car is seriously impressive and I am particularly pleased at how economical it is given the size of the engine.

I have completed 2000 motorway and A road miles since buying and have identified the following issues which I would appreciate your comments on:

1/ The Overdrive Off light flashes intermittently. It usually comes on 2-3 hours into a journey. If you stop the car and restart it goes off and stays off. I suspect a sensor fault as the fluid is clean and at a decent level. Given it goes off when I restart the car and the age of the vehicle I suspect the sensor rather than anything more serious. It is annoying but unless anyone suggests anything more serious I am ignoring it

2/ Tyres – there is a mixed batch of Pirellis and budgets on the car and judging by the look of the rubber, despite having decent treads they are around 7 years old which would fit in with the mileage over the last few years (ie – not a lot). I suspect that the balancing is all out as well as the vibration over 75mph is present. I debated replacing the wheels with a new set of alloy boots but have decided (given this car is a tool at the moment) to replace the tyres with Continental 255/60/16 V’s all round – etyres have quoted £140 each including fitting. I’m happy to splash the cash as I do around 4000 miles a month and quality tyres are a must.

3/ interior electrics – the bulb has gone in the gear selector under the gear stick – anyone any ideas how I change it or what type of bulb is needed?

4/ the aerial mast is missing – I’ll order a new one from Lexus

5/ the aircon needs regassed – off to Kwik Fit for that I guess

6/ the LCD info bar is dead – I think I might take a trip to Colin next month to see if I can get him to fix it and also to replace the LED on the speedo needle which is only ½ lighting up

Have to say though – it’s a quality luxobarge and what I particularly like is that whilst it is not as refined in the handling stakes as say a big XJ6 it is a better all rounder as round town, even a busy narrow street town like Edinburgh it is fantastic –the only car I’ve driven with a better turning circle for it’s size is the Volvo 240 or a taxi!

Top range Falken tyres are much quieter cheaper and give me more confidence than the Pirellis at a better price along with glowing customer refs.

The air con should not be left to Kwik Fit according to previous threads here.

There is a mast thread on here right now!

Balanced tyres, proper tracking, then compare it with the Jag...

"Health to use" as my Mum used to say.

Top range Falken tyres are much quieter cheaper and give me more confidence than the Pirellis at a better price along with glowing customer refs.

Inded, I second that heartily. Mine were £80 a corner.

Thanks for the tips - too late for the falkens though as the Continentals were fitted last night - they are Continental Premium Re-inforced Contact 2's - etyres £540 fitted.

As I do about 60k a year I'll be able to test the Falkens in about 3 months or so!!

Great choice mate,

i too have a 93 K plate and its still runs well....230k

except at the mo cos i lost my job just as it failed an m.o.t.........not good timing at all

but it will be back on the road soon, and there has really only been little niggly things happen.

Dearest job in 5 yrs has been the front upper control arms (£600 cheapest fitted), but overall in that 5 years its never broke down and whatever needed fixing has been general wear & tear parts...so i'm more than happy overall.

speak again fella

Your problems.

1 & 3) overdrive light. have a look at the gear stick and check the gear stick out. The missing blub in the same area tells me that something or someone have been in there mesisng about or a lose wire or something. There's a picture on how to do it on lexls.com.

2) loads of choice that are cheaper. Cheapest new are nankang at around £33 each. Get some nice 18 plus rims as changes the car looks and so much better on the eye.

3) Aerial, Don't bother with lexus too much money, Just get one of a breaker on eBay for aorund £10 with postage.

6) LCD display can be replaced for around £100 from a eBay seller.

For my top tip is too get some anti roll bars for it to remove most of the body roll around corners. Get them from RHD Japan for around £100 each. Get both to keep the car feeling straight around corners.

Hope that helps.

MANC what did your can fail on?

As I do about 60k a year I'll be able to test the Falkens in about 3 months or so!!

60,000 miles at - say - 22mpg... Don't even think about it !

Hi go for a cheap single point lpg conversion ( will work fine on your model) it will pay for itself within a few months at that mileage. A mate of mine has a mark 2 on lpg with 250k on it now,he fitted the lpg at 95k & it still runs 100% perfect.

well, to update you. I splashed the cash on 4 new Continental Re inforced Contact 2s based on the model standard wheels and recommended tyre size. £140 a corner - ouch. Anyway, etyres came round this morning to fit them and - disaster - some previous owner has put 15 inch wheels on the car - I should have guessed because despite the existing tyres are so old and marked you cannot read the tyre size on any of them anymore the car does look like the wheels are too small for it and what's more the speedo grossly overestimates your speed.

So I have contacted Roachford alloys in Southend and have bought a set of 16" 12 spoke Monzas - I'll pop over there on Monday to have them fitted on the car.

curses! I am sticking with the 16" as low profile tyres and my milage don't economically appeal.

I may consider an LPG conversion but remember - I don't pay for my petrol - my client does. I will run the car for 6 months to get to know it mechanically before any serious intestment. Splashing 1200 quid on an LPG converstion for a terminal problem to manifest itself would be tragic to say the least.

These are cheap cars to buy but that's 'cos they are not cheap to run! Looks like the last owner may have not quite got his head around this - 15 inchers with hotchpotch tyres may be ok for pootling around town but I do not fancy them at high speed on the M6 in December!

bazgtr - thanks for your analysis of the OD light - I think you might be onto somthing there - it is definately an electrical fault as I did another 200 miles yesrerday and despite telling me it was in 3 speed mode it was definatley using overdrive.

Yes - the LS400 might be gutsy but as my other car is a 1979 Daimler Sov 4.2 I can say that comparatively it's pretty economical!

• 3 weeks later...

OK - here's the latest I've done another 2500 miles since my last post all on my spanking new alloys and Continental tyres.

Car is going very well however, I am making a concious effort to keep the speed down as over 2.500 revs the fuel consumption don't half add up.

At this mileage the power steeing fluid leak is very obvious and needs frequent topping up. I will be addressing this as soon as I can and suspect the old O ring problem. Certainly every 500 miles it is needing a few drops - if the fluid levels are not spot on the pump makes a hell pf a racket!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links