Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ac/heater Smell Just Won't Go!

All,

Anyone else struggling with the smell still?

Have had my AC cleaned out twice now, with the steam, bacterial treatment etc and the smell is still there, apparently caused by build up on the condensor/evap core. But I've noticed the smell is only when you turn the AC off? Any ideas?

Thanks. H

In my experience with the IS200, the a/c only smells for a while after it has been switched off. Have you tried the Wynn's stuff. I followed the instructions for cleaning with the pollen filter out and it cured it for a good 12 months. Hope you sort because it is an awful smell.

All,

Anyone else struggling with the smell still?

Have had my AC cleaned out twice now, with the steam, bacterial treatment etc and the smell is still there, apparently caused by build up on the condensor/evap core. But I've noticed the smell is only when you turn the AC off? Any ideas?

Thanks. H

I know it's not ideal, but you could just leave it turned on, I leave mine on all year round as does dad on his LS400, on an engine over about 2.0 it doesn't make any difference to the fuel economy and keeps the system in check.

you paid 75 to get your air con cleaned??? if you did then you have been ripped off!!!!!! the cleaner spray is about £12 from halfords!!!!

Make sure you get the cleaner that is an aerosol version and not the version that has a long tube.......

I just use the Dettol antbactericide spray for cleaning kitchen worktops etc. Works a treat and costs less than anything from Halfrauds, and a damn sight less than 75 quid..

Sorry that was £75 including the whole recharge etc...

You used Dettol??! How did you apply that exactly?

I know I could leave the AC on but if I could get rid of the smell it's would be more ideal!

Run the A/C with the fan on and spray into the fresh air intake. That's the antibacteriacide cleaner, not the disinfectent btw :lol:

Hmmmm I did try that before aswell and that didn't really work either!

Any other ideas.....lol...apparently 1 out of 10 cars have this problem - I think I have been extremely unlucky lol

Did you remove the pollen filter?

Can anyone confirm the exact process for using Dettol?!

And also which spray to get to do through the vents....am going to go all out and try both - the smell is driving me mad!

The smell only comes when you turn the AC off or on initially....I've read that this is quite common with the IS250?

Cheers

stop fretting and just get the aerosol VAPOUR VERSION of aircon cleaner and do it yourself..... get 2 cans if you want to be over kill.

it will be about £20 and 30 mins of your time at the most inc buying the stuff.

do it properly once or pishhh about trying other methods

I've had that problem; kept bringing it to the dealer to get it sorted. Lexus Liverpool did the sanitisation three times for free, and changed the clean air filter twice as well. Problem still persists though. Bloke at Lexus told me that a couple of the cars have had this problem, and he has had to change the whole main filter unit/cooler thing, sits deep to the grille. Big job, costs over a grand, free under warranty. I've just extended mine, and will wait for a month or so, and have been assured by the service manager that if I come in with a bad smell (so to speak), he will sort it out for me under warranty. Extending the warranty costs £400 though. But I guess you're covered for much more, have RAC cover etc.

At the moment I have the climate control on constantly, with aircon switched on. It seems to work, the smell comes very occasionally. But as soon as you turn off the a/c, it again smells like your grandmother's urinary tract infection.

Will update once I get the job done.

Mate that sounds identical to the problem I have - does my head in - especially when you take someone out and then it suddently decides to release!

Do you know exactly what the parts are? I have an air conditioning service engineer who might be able to look into it as my car went out of warranty about 6 months ago.

Cheers.

• 6 months later...

Hi mate - did you ever get this job done? My car is out of warranty so bit concerned as I have the same issue! Do you know which parts were replaced? Kind Regards. H

I've had that problem; kept bringing it to the dealer to get it sorted. Lexus Liverpool did the sanitisation three times for free, and changed the clean air filter twice as well. Problem still persists though. Bloke at Lexus told me that a couple of the cars have had this problem, and he has had to change the whole main filter unit/cooler thing, sits deep to the grille. Big job, costs over a grand, free under warranty. I've just extended mine, and will wait for a month or so, and have been assured by the service manager that if I come in with a bad smell (so to speak), he will sort it out for me under warranty. Extending the warranty costs £400 though. But I guess you're covered for much more, have RAC cover etc.

At the moment I have the climate control on constantly, with aircon switched on. It seems to work, the smell comes very occasionally. But as soon as you turn off the a/c, it again smells like your grandmother's urinary tract infection.

Will update once I get the job done.

hi,

i'm from italy, i've a lexus is-220d sport 2007 and i've got the same problem..when AC is off the smells that comes out is not like parfum...it's more like a cat urine

i've tried a lot of spray cleaner, disinfectant etc..but after some days the smells is again the same.

have you finally resolved in some ways?

can you tell me where is the pollen filter and how to remove it?

• 2 months later...

hi,

i'm from italy, i've a lexus is-220d sport 2007 and i've got the same problem..when AC is off the smells that comes out is not like parfum...it's more like a cat urine

i've tried a lot of spray cleaner, disinfectant etc..but after some days the smells is again the same.

have you finally resolved in some ways?

can you tell me where is the pollen filter and how to remove it?

having had the same problem with the bad aircon smell this is my experience first i brought an aircon bomb from Halfords think the brand was comma

the smell went for a day then returned so after a couple of days brought a second bomb did it again same again smell returned in a day then finaly i brought a new pollen filter from lexus wolverhampton priced £34 changed my filter and hey presto smell has gone for good...incidently i did try brushing of the loose debris from the filter at first and then put it back in the filter was a dirty black but that didnt work the new filter was a brillant white so its worth changing specialy if you wont rid of the smell..the filter is in the glovebox and takes all of two minutes to change if you look in your lexus handbook the details are in there it pops out easily has to be done in recirclate mode..finaly a smell free lexus :)

I think that it would probably be a good idea, every year,to remove the pollen filter and give the ventilation system a "blow through" with something like Wynns Air Con disinfectant spray, shake off the filter and put it back. If the filter is really dirty, then change it. My feeling is that filters become contaminated with bacteria after a time and the only cure is replacement. I gave my car its air con service about a monthg ago and a passenger commented on the fresh smell in the car. Never notice it myself after a month but obviuosly others do.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links