Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just Bought An Is200 And Erm.....

Mbay

HI all, I'm new to LOC and have just bought myself an X reg 2001 IS200 in silver. Has a spoiler and body kit so assume it is a styling kit model.

The car drives like nothing I've driven before. Its FAB!!

Anyway, theres a few problems with it that I want to bottom out! The problems don't affect how it drives or at least I don't think it does!

I took it to my local Lexus dealer and they did a Vehicle Safety report.

For some reason the bonnet doesn't sit flush with the headlights and the grill, especially on the drivers side. The bonnet stay clip is broke so don't know if it might be that. I'll get some photos up when I can. Lexus said it looks like it may have had a new wing in the past as it looks newer. Lexus went onto say its a bodyshop issue and reccommended one to me.

The drivers side foglight is gone. Has condensation in it. Lexus wanted £275 to replace it! LOL!!

Something they said was important was there is an "oil leak on diff seals & rear cover" which is what it says on the report. No idea what that means.

Also the rear brake pads are 90% worn which is self explanatory. £130 to replace they wanted.

£20 for the bonnet stay clip.

Obviously the brakes are very important but I've no idea about the diff seals thingy. I can sort the brakes out but what do I do with the diff seals and the problem with the bonnet?

Any ideas on what the bonnet thing could be?

thanks.

sounds like it could of been in a crash?

Well when the Lexus mechanic pointed it out to me I thought the same. Doesn't bother me though, its such a good motor!

i fit doesnt bother you then i wouldnt worry. as long as its safe and runs good you have got a good car

where you from on merseyside by the way?

Im from south liverpool. Were bouts you from?

Welcome- enjoy the IS200, I've had my 2000/X reg IS200 for nearly 7 years now (bought it at 2.5 years old)- fantasic cars. This is the longest time I have owned any car, if I sold this IS200 I'd probably replace it with another IS200 or maybe a IS300.

Oh, the bonnet clip for the bonnet rod often break on the IS200- there are 2 sellers on eBay who are selling OEM replacement ones for £10-12.

so any ideas on the diff thing?

took it to an autobody shop and they told me to lower the bonnet catch thing. will try it tomorrow and see what happens.

I would get the diff oil leak sorted pretty quickly. Look under the car at the rear and you'll see the diff in the centre. You should be able to see the rear of the diff and how bad the oil leak is. I expect most garages will be able to fix it.

Just uploaded pictures of my is200, in my gallery, think you might be able to see the bonnet not sitting low enough. any idea how to make it lower or how to lower the catch?

what model is it coz i aint gots a clue?

rite,

sorted sum pics out of my car and the problem with the bonnet.

I tried to lower the catch but it wont go any lower :tsktsk:

any ideas?

CLOSE UP OF THE BONNET NOT SITTING FLUSH

dsc02221w.jpg

SHOT OF THE FRONT END, SEE WHAT I MEAN ABOUT THE BONNET! AND THE DRIVER SIDE FOG LIGHT

dsc02224n.jpg

SHOT OF THE REAR END. I LOVE THE SPOILER!

dsc02225.jpg

CLOSE UP OF THE BOOT LOCK WHICH IS CRACKED. How much to replace?

dsc02226h.jpg

Your drivers side is slightly raised, but your passenger one is nothing to worry about, they all have a slight gap above the headlamp (its where some people put there LED strips)

Regarding the crack on the boot, that part pulls off (3 screws inside the boot under the carpet), you need to remove it to change the number plate lights - i cant imagine there expensive to replace, maybe try e-bay or a scrap yard

My bonnet clip broke at 6 years old. Got a replacement from Lexus Liverpool. They had it IN STOCK so I guess it is a common fault. Didn't cost much and easy to fit. My advice is if yours hasn't been replaced be very careful with it by easing the stay out and visa versa.

Your drivers side is slightly raised, but your passenger one is nothing to worry about, they all have a slight gap above the headlamp (its where some people put there LED strips)

Regarding the crack on the boot, that part pulls off (3 screws inside the boot under the carpet), you need to remove it to change the number plate lights - i cant imagine there expensive to replace, maybe try e-bay or a scrap yard

so how can i sort out the gap? is it the bonnet catch, should i go to a body shop?

Im unsure. Have you tried the bump stops (the plastic screw down things near the headlights?

tried them. theyre screwed all the way and tried without. still no joy!

also, to save me opening a new thread, if i want hids for my main, dipped and fogs, would i need 3 separate kits (meaning 3 pairs of ballasts?)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links