Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lower Ball Joint

TDA

Quiet funny, I change the lower ball joint during the week, because felt MOT, anyway everything ok now pass MOT but my wheel when am on straight road or motorway i looks out of place a little to the left??? do I need tracking?? does it affect the geometric??

Thank you in advance

YES !

you should replace both ball joints

then get your geo done WIM is the place to go

Ade :D

I have replace both already.

Just what I was afraid off, I just got done the geo 2 months ago set me back £100

Thank you for that Ade

YES !

Just what I was afraid off, I just got done the geo 2 months ago set me back £100

Thank you for that Ade

If we did the geo then i will re-do it for £40 if that helps.

YES !

Thank you for that Ade

If we did the geo then i will re-do it for £40 if that helps.

Unfortunatly Tony i did not, I did booked with you though, but due to work commitments I had to do it in Britania Tyres Cov.

Thank you anyway, if I new before I will it made the trip in the first place.

I would go see the people that did your tracking for you,and also talk to the mot station. If the ball joint failed the mot test then it must have had "excessive" play in it. If it did have "excessive" play in it when mot,ed i would imagine it would have had some play in it when when the tracking was done, 2 months earlier and therefore shouldnt have been tracked. A ball joint wont go from ok to worn out in 2 months.

Sure the guys at WIM check for wear and play before they track a car as should anyone. If there was slight play in the joint then it shouldnt have failed the mot test to quote the mot testers manuel " check for excessive wear" yes you will need your tracking doing again, should you have to pay for it, at my garage, no you wouldnt.

I would go see the people that did your tracking for you,and also talk to the mot station. If the ball joint failed the mot test then it must have had "excessive" play in it. If it did have "excessive" play in it when mot,ed i would imagine it would have had some play in it when when the tracking was done, 2 months earlier and therefore shouldnt have been tracked. A ball joint wont go from ok to worn out in 2 months.

Sure the guys at WIM check for wear and play before they track a car as should anyone. If there was slight play in the joint then it shouldnt have failed the mot test to quote the mot testers manuel " check for excessive wear" yes you will need your tracking doing again, should you have to pay for it, at my garage, no you wouldnt.

So is life, I will check tomorrow with Tyre company about the tracking in the first place. I spoke to the garage about that ball joint and as per the report "Excessive play".

Thank for the help

Cars live most their life in the realm of "worn", this is a period where it's not new nor is it worn out. In an ideal world all the bushings would be replaced and the suspension would be new. The problem is the term "worn to excess", at what point does excess become a reality? it's opinionated.

Cars live most their life in the realm of "worn", this is a period where it's not new nor is it worn out. In an ideal world all the bushings would be replaced and the suspension would be new. The problem is the term "worn to excess", at what point does excess become a reality? it's opinionated.

"worn to excess" as laid down by VOSA is worn to the point its about to fall off. That is what we always get told when we question the term worn to excess. As a rule, again by VOSA standards , (as pointed out to me on my last refresher course aprox 3 months ago) a vehicle serviced acording to correct intervals, should be about 80/90% of its original condition. To pass an mot a car only requires it to be between 20/25%. So of these figures excess is pretty well knackered. So if the joint only had 25% of its life left at time of test it would have been pretty shot 2 months before when it was tracked.

Problem is "Some" testers set their own standards?

Well to be honest they were pretty knackered to be honest. They give them to me as a souvenir and there was not grease and both where really dry and loose, so this time they where correct, unfortunatly for me.

Tony Ill call you later in the week to see if you can fit me in.

Thanks again

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links