Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Adaptive Headlights Problem

The red beast goes in to Lexus Nottingham on Tuesday for some attention to the moving headlights - the left one doesn't (!) and the right one bends right at the slightest movement of the steering wheel then immediately flicks back to central before the steering wheel is straightened.

But...... does anybody else have a problem with their lights vibrating? When I come up behind another vehicle so my lights shine on to its bodywork the beam is clearly "wobbling" - it doesn't show up on the road but certainly does when shining on to something vertical (even my garage doors) and I worry I might be causing a problem to on-coming vehicles.

Rather than simply reporting it as a vague worry on Tuesday I wondered if it's a known problem with standard fit HID lights or the "F" in particular.

The red beast goes in to Lexus Nottingham on Tuesday for some attention to the moving headlights - the left one doesn't (!) and the right one bends right at the slightest movement of the steering wheel then immediately flicks back to central before the steering wheel is straightened.

But...... does anybody else have a problem with their lights vibrating? When I come up behind another vehicle so my lights shine on to its bodywork the beam is clearly "wobbling" - it doesn't show up on the road but certainly does when shining on to something vertical (even my garage doors) and I worry I might be causing a problem to on-coming vehicles.

Rather than simply reporting it as a vague worry on Tuesday I wondered if it's a known problem with standard fit HID lights or the "F" in particular.

No, I've never spotted a problem. Let us how you get on with the visit today?

When I come up behind another vehicle so my lights shine on to its bodywork the beam is clearly "wobbling"

This is the first indication that the potentiometor on the rear axle which controls the headlight height is damp and soon going to fail.

I've had this twice now on my SC. Not to be confused with the movement you get on initial start up. Eventually the lights will point so far down that you need main beam as a dip beam and the self levelling light failure will eventually illuminate on the dash.

Paul

When I come up behind another vehicle so my lights shine on to its bodywork the beam is clearly "wobbling"

This is the first indication that the potentiometor on the rear axle which controls the headlight height is damp and soon going to fail.

Paul

Interesting!

The dealer report indicates that that they have totally re-programmed all the headlight telemetry and it's all "back to specification" - and on the two drives home since it's been sorted I've taken the "country route" to check it out and the lights performed perfectly.

But............I think I prefer it without the electronic intervention - the temptation to keep the wheel away from central makes for some pretty jerky cornering - so I'll have to forego the auto switch on facility and try to work out for myself when exactly it is that I need to switch the lights on!!!!

• 1 year later...

I am experiencing a flicker on the right hand beam at idle but goes away when the engine speed rises. I hope it's a loose screw but now I'm worried it could be something else and more serious. Anyone else had the same problem?

On the positive side I think the AFS system is fascinating, and when driving I just can't wait for the next bend!

Can anybody here on the forum tell me how the system dynamic adjusts the beam height and swivel?

The headlight beam on my IS220d seems to point a little lower than optimum (although not an MOT failure) is there a manual adjustment facility to raise the beam. When AFS is switched on there seems to be a hole in the spread of beam covering the top central part of the road (boss eyed beams), can my Lexus dealer adjust this accurately during a service to provide an optimum spread?

Paul

Interesting!

The dealer report indicates that that they have totally re-programmed all the headlight telemetry and it's all "back to specification" - and on the two drives home since it's been sorted I've taken the "country route" to check it out and the lights performed perfectly.

But............I think I prefer it without the electronic intervention - the temptation to keep the wheel away from central makes for some pretty jerky cornering - so I'll have to forego the auto switch on facility and try to work out for myself when exactly it is that I need to switch the lights on!!!!

Turn the AFS off then. Select it from switch on RHS below steering wheel. It doesn't add much - if anything - to driving anyway.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links