Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Little Bulbs In Switches And Backlights

hi, thought you might like to know that the smaller sized bulbs such as those used in the headlight washer switch and other switches like this are available from maplins for £1 each they also fit the keypad and backlights on the climate control, they come as a tiny bulb with long tails, so you remove the old bulb from its holder and set the new one in and wrap the tails round the base as they were on the old bulb, then put the coloured cap of the old bulb on the new one.

just done mine today most of my switches were out and one end of the radio screen was dark and also the smaller screen above that does rds (radio name) these bulbs fit all of the caps.

hope this helps someone :D

Or you could buy 10 bulbs with the holder for £5.45

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOX-OF-10-24v-1-2w-C...=item20a992ce33

those say 24volt so not much use on our 12volt cars also the base is wrong i mean the tiny flat base bulbs with a slot in them to twist and undo with a screwdriver and also the ones on the rds screen have to be soldered in they have no base but still nice to see that people are keeping an eye on these things. I tried everywhere to get them no auto shop had anything that small then i found maplins

Got to agree Maplins are an invaluable source of hard to get parts, I find RS Components has one of the hardest website to navigate and CPC never have anything in stock anymore and if they do the price has increased.

If you have an account with maplins the prices also drop to "trade"

• 4 months later...

hi, thought you might like to know that the smaller sized bulbs such as those used in the headlight washer switch and other switches like this are available from maplins for £1 each they also fit the keypad and backlights on the climate control, they come as a tiny bulb with long tails, so you remove the old bulb from its holder and set the new one in and wrap the tails round the base as they were on the old bulb, then put the coloured cap of the old bulb on the new one.

just done mine today most of my switches were out and one end of the radio screen was dark and also the smaller screen above that does rds (radio name) these bulbs fit all of the caps.

funny enough.... i spent most of the afternoon taking the AC unit apart in my mk4 LS400 to replace the AC LCD backlighrs (both the passenger and drivers LCD are dark at night)

As i had done this on my old mk1 ls400 i thought it would be an easy job.... even removed a few bulbs from my mk1 to make the replacement nice and easy

boy was i in for a suprise. You have to totally dismantle the mk4 AC display unit..... literally remove the motherboard.... to find the lcd backlights are hidden under a surround.... once i removed that, i found the bulbs.... but they are soldered in, and seem smaller than those on the mk1.... it was too late to go to maplin.... so i re-aseembled everything and will try again when i have more time

has anybody done this on a mk4? if so, what bulbs do you use??, they could even be LEDs its difficult to tell with the little cap on the bulb.... they do look a pig to remove tho lol

any help appreciated

These one's are rubbish unless you only want the standard colour white. Maplan do other ones in colour but they turn white after about a week or so as they burn out and you'll need to fit a resistor to the car circuit board to control the voltage flow to stop them burning out.

You can also get the LED ones from eBay US with a little resistor already built in along with the correct plastic holders. This buyer and info is listed in a earlier thread about LED backlights earlier this year. They cost around £5 for the full centre dash from the US.

I have the full blue dash which is still working as blue as they should for months now.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links