Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Why?

I'm still in pursuit of trying to turn the handbrake light off on my car, it comes on when i press the brakes and doesn't go off.

ALL brake bulbs have been checked/replaced including the rear parcel shelf light.

So have been trying to work out what else might be causing this issue i.e bad connections. So i located and removed the brake sensor from above the brake pedal and found that it had been spliced into for some reason. this has been removed at some point and was just covered in electrical tape. (hence me thinking dodgy connection)

I have ordered a new one so will see if this fixes the issue. But does anyone know why this would have been messed with?

any ideas would be great

well,

If your find it is not electrical, look under bonnet and check the level of your brake fluid in the back left corner as your looking into the engine bay. . if the fluid is low the light will come on! there is a sensor on top of the container that puts on that light also to tell you brake fluid is low.

just making sure :winky:

try take off the wires and see does the light go out? might narrow it down for ya..

It's good to make sure. Just been and fumbled around the dark and disconnected the brake fluid sensor (pulled out the wire) the light stays on once the brake pedal is released. So that narrows that down... maybe...

that just eliminates that switch, have you a good brake?

if one of the vacuum pipes was leaking on the brakes (also in that corner lol) it would also have the same affect and bring on that light. .

that just eliminates that switch, have you a good brake?

if one of the vacuum pipes was leaking on the brakes (also in that corner lol) it would also have the same affect and bring on that light. .

I see, I wish cars were simple and one light meant one thing. the brakes are very good actually, but i will check the pipes for leaks to double check.

so after getting home tonight i checked all the hoses around the brake fluid sensor, there seems to be no leaks or any sign of leaking in the past... anything ideas as to what i could try next would be good. And if anyone knows why the brake sensor would have been spliced that too would be handy.

many thanks for the replys

I'm still in pursuit of trying to turn the handbrake light off on my car, it comes on when i press the brakes and doesn't go off.

ALL brake bulbs have been checked/replaced including the rear parcel shelf light.

So have been trying to work out what else might be causing this issue i.e bad connections. So i located and removed the brake sensor from above the brake pedal and found that it had been spliced into for some reason. this has been removed at some point and was just covered in electrical tape. (hence me thinking dodgy connection)

I have ordered a new one so will see if this fixes the issue. But does anyone know why this would have been messed with?

any ideas would be great

The Brake warning lamp on your dash will come on only when the electrical circut for that lamp is closed, this circut will have switches at your parking brake, your master cylinder and possibly your brake caliper(as a pad wear indicator), the switch above your brake pedal is for your brakelights and should have no other function but to put your brakelights on when you press the pedal.

The switches at the above locations open and close the circut, so to eliminate each switch in turn disconect the conector at your parking brake and if the light stays on then disconect at the master cylinder, and the same at each point,if the lamp goes out that will be you faulty switch, if the lamp stays on it is the possible that the circut has a short to earth caused by wires rubbing againts the metelwork of the car body, or if you can use a multimetre you can test each switch

Hope that this helps,

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links