Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Towbar

pekay

hi i am new to the forum although i have owned my ls400 for a few years now and need to pick the brains of the guys in the know.I

have the chance to buy a secondhand towbar for the said car, but its for 98-2000 model and mines a 95 so the questin is will it fit

even if it has to have a modification to do so,are the chassis the same? is there any difference in the wiring loom?

hi i am new to the forum although i have owned my ls400 for a few years now and need to pick the brains of the guys in the know.I

have the chance to buy a secondhand towbar for the said car, but its for 98-2000 model and mines a 95 so the questin is will it fit

even if it has to have a modification to do so,are the chassis the same? is there any difference in the wiring loom?

Welcome Pekay.

The wring loom shouldnt be an issue, you can pick everything up from the boot - albeit with all the lining out - and trailer wiring is standard any way.

With regard to the towing bracket itself, I cannot be definitive but would think it will be able to be fitted.

Please use the search facility with terms like towing, tow bar, etc.

Thanks for the info Steve,going on from that someone said that i may have to fit an oil cooler as well can you enlighten me on that at all?

Yes, infact I said it on here recently. Come out of the engine section of the forum and go in to the main bit and seach the topics either manually (its been discussed within the last month or 2) or use the search facility at the bottom of the page. Its all in there. If you are going to tow a small unbraked trailer for taking garden rubbish to the tip, no problem but if you are lokking at towing caravans or heavy loads a cooler is a must. I took a Range Rover to be weighed-in on Saturday morning. Net payload was 1.84 tons (2 tons with trailer)and without a cooler I wouldn't have wanted to take it to the end of the street let alone the 20 miles to Lincoln. At the end of the day, its your risk but this is covered in the aforementioned threads.

As Steve said there are a few recent posts on Towbars.

I fitted one a few weeks ago to a 98 ls400, about the only one you can buy new at the moment is that sold by Watling they specify two towbars one for the UCF10 and another for the UCF20 LS400.

I successfuly fitted the latter to a UCF20II (1997-2000) so I think it would be safe to assume that a towbar for that car would also fit the UCF20.

But check that you car is a UCF20 (which came out in 1995) the UCF10II was also sold in 1995 for a time and if it is one of those I'd say the later towbar wouldn't fit.

Hope that makes sence.

I used a 7 way trailer relay to wire in the towbar and ran a seperate live feed from the Battery. The relay takes very low voltages from the standard loom and doesn't affect such things as bulb failure detection systems.

They dont come up often but there is a towbar on eBay at the moment and if that had been available 3 weeks ago I'd have gone for it, such is life....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links