Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sportcross Headlamp Leveling System

Hi All, recently became aware of a jangling noise from the rear of the Sportcross, no warning lamps on, looked around rear drive shafts and saw load sensor/ head lamp control bracket had broken leaving the unit flopping around.Lexus do not offer the bracket just the complete unit for £278 so I stripped it off and had the bracket MIG welded but now I have re assembled it the headlamp level warning lamp goes off when engine is started but then re lights and stays on after about 30 seconds, any suggestions how to cure this as I guess it would fail the MOT test.

Thanks in advance and hope!

Regards Tony

Hi All, recently became aware of a jangling noise from the rear of the Sportcross, no warning lamps on, looked around rear drive shafts and saw load sensor/ head lamp control bracket had broken leaving the unit flopping around.Lexus do not offer the bracket just the complete unit for £278 so I stripped it off and had the bracket MIG welded but now I have re assembled it the headlamp level warning lamp goes off when engine is started but then re lights and stays on after about 30 seconds, any suggestions how to cure this as I guess it would fail the MOT test.

Regards Tony

I had the very same problem found it dangling when being tracked...gotta be a design fault!!! otherwise never knew anything, had the bracket mended the same way (WELDED) ,plugged back in but unlike you ,no warning light..so ok there.. Try unplugging and replugging check wiring to plug might have broken when dangling if no joy there, you will get 15% to 20% off as a gold member!!!(just joined myself!!!)

chaZ

Regards Tony

I had the very same problem found it dangling when being tracked...gotta be a design fault!!! otherwise never knew anything, had the bracket mended the same way (WELDED) ,plugged back in but unlike you ,no warning light..so ok there.. Try unplugging and replugging check wiring to plug might have broken when dangling if no joy there, you will get 15% to 20% off as a gold member!!!(just joined myself!!!)

chaZ

Thanks for that, wierd that no light shows when it is hanging off ! will try re connecting ,certain no damage has happened to wires.

Regards Tony

chaZT

hanks for that, wierd that no light shows when it is hanging off ! will try re connecting ,certain no damage has happened to wires.

If no damage to wires or sensor, the bracket may not be in the EXACT same orientation which defines "level", and can take the automatic control out of range. The headlamps should move up then down to the correct postion when switching on in auto. If they do this but if the "correct" position they settle into is too high or low, it suggest this is the problem. Tilting the sensor should make the headlamps move up and down.

Regards Tony

chaZT

hanks for that, wierd that no light shows when it is hanging off ! will try re connecting ,certain no damage has happened to wires.

If no damage to wires or sensor, the bracket may not be in the EXACT same orientation which defines "level", and can take the automatic control out of range. The headlamps should move up then down to the correct postion when switching on in auto. If they do this but if the "correct" position they settle into is too high or low, it suggest this is the problem. Tilting the sensor should make the headlamps move up and down.

The bracket only fits one way with no play in the 6mm holes,however you are probably right in your explanation about the orientation and automatic control..I can understand that if the switch spindle is not in the correct position when replacing the bracket ,there could be a levelling bias.

When I disconnected the plug the warning lamp came on in the dash,however every time I replaced the plug the warning lamp went out...So maybe a damaged SWITCH, Tony?????? :unsure:

The bracket only fits one way with no play in the 6mm holes,however you are probably right in your explanation about the orientation and automatic control..I can understand that if the switch spindle is not in the correct position when replacing the bracket ,there could be a levelling bias.

When I disconnected the plug the warning lamp came on in the dash,however every time I replaced the plug the warning lamp went out...So maybe a damaged SWITCH, Tony?????? :unsure:

Lexus IS200/300 Worshop Manual here http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/. In the electrical wiring diagrams section under headlamp levelling control there are detais of the circuits if that helps - and might let you work out how to simulate the sensor to prove it one way or the other.

Many thanks for your replies, best I get under it again and make sure the linkage can move and the connections are good, superb forum !!

Thanks for your help chaps, took it off again and ludricated the unit, re assembled and am happy to say the warning light now goes off on startup, £2 welding charge at my local tractor workshop well spent.( his 1st Lexus repair!)

Cheers Tony

Thanks for your help chaps, took it off again and ludricated the unit, re assembled and am happy to say the warning light now goes off on startup, £2 welding charge at my local tractor workshop well spent.( his 1st Lexus repair!)

Cheers Tony

Result :luck:

• 1 year later...

The automatic headlamp-level warning light has just lit up on my 2002 SportCross - for no apparent reason - in the middle of the day when the lights have not been on (and no load in the back to affect the ride height).

Searching the forum brought up this thread...

I'd like to check and see if anything has come loose or fallen off, but I confess I don't know exactly where to look! Can anyone point me to an illustrated diagram, or better, a photo, which shows exactly where the "unit" is and how it operates?

Or is there anything else more basic that I can check - like fuses, connections or relays?

Any advice would be appreciated!

The automatic headlamp-level warning light has just lit up on my 2002 SportCross - for no apparent reason - in the middle of the day when the lights have not been on (and no load in the back to affect the ride height).

Searching the forum brought up this thread...

I'd like to check and see if anything has come loose or fallen off, but I confess I don't know exactly where to look! Can anyone point me to an illustrated diagram, or better, a photo, which shows exactly where the "unit" is and how it operates?

Or is there anything else more basic that I can check - like fuses, connections or relays?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi, strangley enough this topic has re emerged this week with the photo you are looking for, look back a few posts for "Part identifcation help" by Jimmy Wales, I wonder if you have a different problem as neither of us with broken brackets had the warning light come on.

Good luck Tony

Thanks Tony. On my car, it seems to be a case of "now you see it, now you don't". This morning the car fired up normally.... and no warning light. So if there was a problem, it looks as if it was a temporary one, or a false alarm. Dampness/condensation in the electrics, or a dodgy connection, perhaps? I guess I'll just have to watch in case it recurs. But thanks for the advice.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links