Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has anyone in the forum group upgraded from an RX400 to an RX450? Is there sufficient improvement/benefit/performance to make it worth considering?My dealer says the 450 can achieve 45 mpg! This is not supported by the forum comments. Apart from cosmetic styling changes to the dashboard, and I believe a socking big auxillary Battery under the boot floor,(so Lexus have listened to the RX400 complaints!) is there much difference in the two models? Is the air suspension system really that good? I do find the standard suspension on my RX400 quite uncomfortable in fast cornering. Too much body roll, but then it is a high up SUV and not a sports car!

I've not owned both but I have been in a 400h and I currently own a 450h.

The 450h won't do anywhere near 45 to the gallon for normal driving (I get between 35 and 38 without too hard trying); if you are driving at low speeds over a short distance you can see this sort of economy, at least till you put your foot down or the batteries need charging.

Pretty much everything is improved with the 450h over the 400h but this should be expected with the bump in prices, more power, better economy, more toys, better handling, better fit and finish. My personal opinion is that the 450h has moved up a class and is more than a match for the likes of Merc or BMW in terms of exterior build and interior quality. I'd put the 450h as behind the latest Disco or Range Rover in terms of interior quality and toys but they are newer, more expensive when equipped to the same standard and more expensive to run. I also have my doubts that Land Rover have really addressed the reliability issues that I know a lot of my friends had with the previous models.

Handling on the 450h without air is good on smooth roads but choppy otherwise, you really need to invest in a model with air. Both suspension types corner really well for such a big, tall, car and without much body roll.

I really want to go to the 450 but at close to £60k for the top flight one it's amazing they are selling any! Hmmm. I think I will wait a little longer. One thing is for sure is that I certainly won't be buying it for the official MPG figures. I will instead be looking at it as a comfy cruzer that is laden with lots of toys that has superb reliability.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone in the forum group upgraded from an RX400 to an RX450? Is there sufficient improvement/benefit/performance to make it worth considering?My dealer says the 450 can achieve 45 mpg! This is not supported by the forum comments. Apart from cosmetic styling changes to the dashboard, and I believe a socking big auxillary battery under the boot floor,(so Lexus have listened to the RX400 complaints!) is there much difference in the two models? Is the air suspension system really that good? I do find the standard suspension on my RX400 quite uncomfortable in fast cornering. Too much body roll, but then it is a high up SUV and not a sports car!

I have owned the 400h and now own the 450h and I find that both of the vehicles had and have a stiff ride. The 400h is a much faster vehicle and quieter with less engine noise. The 450h give a bit better mpg. The eco system on the 450h is a joke and should not be used as it decreased the mpg. Try to get the front wheel drive and not the all wheel drive as the tire wear is excessive in the all wheel drive.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links