Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

First Time Is 200 Owner. First Impressions

wayne-m0

Firstly I would like to say hello to everyone on this forum. Have only just discovered this site after browsing the net and love the site and appreciate all the happy Lexus owners on here.

Have always wanted a Lexus IS 200 as I love the look and having spoken to a few owners, all seem very happy with the car. So have managed to purchase a 2001 IS 200 Sport model with one previous owner milage 75000.

First impressions. Lovely car to drive, great electric features etc. Miles to the gallon, a little thirsty.

Snags which have been/need ironing out since purchase 3 weeks ago.

1. Front offside headlamp misting up. Took to Lexus to replace. Very happy with service indeed.

2. Rustproof needed to the underside as getting a little rusty on the suspension mounts but main body in excellent condition.

3. The dreaded front brake noises. Yes I have those as have many on this forum site. Local garage has checked out nothing to report other than freeing up calipers. This seems to be a weakness on these models so I am going to live with it.

4. Gearknob has worn. Can I get these replaced at Lexus?

5. Cambelt was changed at 62,000 miles (Not by Lexus sadly). Is this due to be checked again visually to make sure it has not started to wear prior to next change which I assume will be 100,000 miles?

6. Do I get a basic service carried out every year (oil and filter etc) and when should the next major service be carried out? Suspect will be around the 100,000 mile mark. I average around 12,000 miles per year.

Once again, very happy owner and hope to keep this baby for many years to come. I'm not a mechanic and just want to keep this motor in tip top working order.

Thanks to everyone.

Wayne

Welcome to LOC :)

Can't answer all your questions but will try with some of them.....

Gearknob is easy to replace as it just screws on and off - yes should be able to pick up a replacement from a dealer.

I suppose you can have the cambelt checked if you would prefer, but it should be replaced every 6 years or 60,000 miles so would only be due to be replaced after this period.

I think the normal Lexus service schedule is every 12 months or 10,000 miles, but I'm sure once a year should be fine even if you do slightly higher mileage. I think every other service is a bigger service.

I've had mine serviced by Lexus from new and it's been pretty much trouble free :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links