Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto Gearbox - Problem

rajesh

i have decided within myself - i am going to take my time...scrap my car to you guys as parts or part ex or repair....

The only remaining optiom I did not mention is to change the gearbox yourself. All you actually need is ramps/axle stands, some bricks/wooden blocks/fenceposts & a couple of old screw jacks plus hard work. Spanners etc of course. NOTE: YOU MUST BE CONFIDENT YOU CAN RAISE & SUPPORT THE CAR SAFELY & DO THE JOB WITHOUT INJURING YOURSELF. I have changed even larger gearboxes on my own without any special equipment, and although it is awkward, dirty & fiddly, and involves getting lots of bits out of the way; it can usually be done, especially when driven by being strapped for money. Otherwise, good luck with getting a decent price if you sell "as is".

ficfarr s advice is not a bad idea mate - itll come down to time and tools tbh,and if you have the time to do it the tools wont stand in your way,you cant really make it any worse by having a go yourself and im sure the forum members here who have done this job before would offer advice and support when needed

ficfarr s advice is not a bad idea mate - itll come down to time and tools tbh,and if you have the time to do it the tools wont stand in your way,you cant really make it any worse by having a go yourself and im sure the forum members here who have done this job before would offer advice and support when needed

I am not insulting anybody by saying this, but if the job was technically really complex & difficult - beyond the capabilities of normal mortals; mechanics wouldn't be able to do it either because not long ago most were just ordinary mortals like you. What they have is the convenience of a workshop with equipment to make it easy and maybe having done it before. Changing a gearbox (particularly an auto box) is essentially an exercise in the obvious.

I go back to when people automatically did all this sort of work themselves - engine/gearbox/suspension rebuilds/body repairs etc. because otherwise you couldn't afford to run a car and there was always the first time for all of it. I only stopped when I got old, bu**ered, lazy and could afford someone else to do it.

The really important thing is to think ahead to work safely. In the bad old days, some didn't and were badly injured.

If you do it yourself, I am sure Forum members will help out in all sorts of ways.

at the Mo; the idea of scaping the car is winning; My Lex is old (125K) worth 1K-2K; cost a lot to run.....ok i will miss my Lex; but on paper and in my head it's the right thing to do. The idea doing the job on my own.....i am not a strong - big built type of guy....i think breaking the car down into parts would be better...

Still looking / thinking my options.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links