Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx450H - Small Big Car?

Just had my test drive in RX450h SE-I (Fitting car seats thread). I had a short list of RX, Volvo XC90, X5, Discovery4. My 3 main criteria were:

- cost/efficiency

- 3 car seats

- plenty of boot space

The first point got a big tick, also I found the ride smooth and actually found the electric motor took more of the strain in town than I expected. Also, given the favourable tax benefits I'd get buying an RX - 20% of purchase price capital allowance per annum against 10% for all the others - I was really wanting the RX to hit the other two criteria and make my choice a no brainer.

However, I have to admit I was a bit surprised at how small the vehicle is inside. Boot space is ok, but the rear seat space has been a heartbreaker for me.

I can't work out why Lexus would build a car like the RX and want to cramp up the passenger space so much, it's really frustrating...although..I suppose I could leave one of the kids at home when we go on holiday !

Those batteries have to go somewhere.

What car are you coming from at the moment? The RX has a bigger rear seating area than a 5 series or an E Class but it can't compete with a large people carrier such as a S-Max or Espace, nor can it compete with the Discovery. While I've not been in the new XC90 I did feel that the old one was tiny in the back as its a 7 seater and feels like it has a very low roof line when you are inside it.

Very few cars outside of people carriers can get three proper car seats (ones suitable for 9 months up, not those booster seats) across the back seats, I know because I had the same problem.

sorry but id go for the discovery all day long anyway ( it does take 3 seats in the 2nd row ) and they are superb all round

Ordinarily, I'd agree. But reliability is woeful and it'll spend quite a bit of time in the workshops ;)

tankplanker - I've currently got an Audi A6 Avant 2.7TDi and the wife has a Honda FRV. The Honda fits the car seats, but has minimal storage - the Audi has great storage but doesn't fit the car seats.

Am testdriving an XC90 later this week, so will definitely bear your comments in mind regarding the rear seat space. I like the Volvo option though because it is understated - this is something that appealed about the Lexus also - unlike the BMW and the Discovery, which are anything but understated.

The Discovery has been on the radar, but am also concerned about reliability and performance. Also the next door neighbours have an old one and have been going on for the last 6 months about wanting to upgrade to a Disco4, but not being able to afford to at moment - not sure it would do the relations any good if I rocked up in one!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links