Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs300 1996 Non Starter

llexuss

Hi,

The car would not start one morning, been running perfect the day before,a friendly mechanic of mine noticed that on starting the engine only one spark came from the ht coil. Changed the coil and igniter but still the same, have now ordered a distributor, could this be the problem?

More suggestions please

Not familiar with the 1st gen GS300 (presume it's that, as you have a distributor)

Can't understand the 'only one spark came from the HT coil'. Can you elaborate on this? Have you checked the rotor arm and dizzy cap for tracking or damage? Have you changed the HT leads? Sometimes as the leads get old they become very susceptible to tracking when the air is very moist. A simple way to test this is to run the engine in a dark place and spray a little moisture over the leads - this may be tricky if you can't get the engine started at all! Usually they don't all fail at once so I prefer the rotor / cap idea. Of course, if the coil HT lead (you only have one coil I presume) has started to fail this would potentially prevent it starting.

I did once have a one off non-start issue. It failed to run immediately after starting - didn't pick up and coughed and stopped. I tried to start again and it became flooded. I waited a few minutes and tried again. It started and misfired for a few moments with the excess fuel on the plugs and then ran fine. Never recurred. I mention this because if you are trying to start it without spark, yours may flood too.

Bill

Like William, I'm a bit confused by what is being said. As far as the Dizzy being at fault is concerned, It kind of depends where there is only one spark, and what exactly you mean by one spark. The coil feeds the centre of the dizzy, and should produce a spark for every cylinder on every rotation of the engine. It is the dizzy's job to route all of those sparks to the correct cylinder, it doesn't control when the sparks come from the coil. So if the coil produces just one single spark to the centre on the dizzy, it is unlikely to be the dizzy at fault. Can you clarify what you/the mechanic mean?

How do i take the brake pads off of a 2007 GS 350 LEXUS

Be polite,do not hijack another thread on a completely different subject, post in the correct forum,then a little courtesy shown may get you the answer to your question.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links