Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All,

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I drive a 07 220D.

I had to drop the folks to the airport very early in the morning one day last week. First hard frost of the year so may be a factor(???).

Went through 1st to 3rd no problem, then tried to move into 4th, but the gear would not engage. No grinding though. Went back down through the gears even skipping to 5th but still no luck when trying 4th.

Five minutes into the journey 4th finally selected but with a typical grinding noise for a brief moment as it slipped in. This continued each time I tried 4th, as I said it would select but there was the grinding noise briefly each time. 10 minutes later and since then there has not been an issue.

I haven't heard of anything like this before, particularly applying to one specific gear, but I am not a mechanic!

The car was serviced just over two months ago (4000 miles ago).

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I drive a 07 220D.

I had to drop the folks to the airport very early in the morning one day last week. First hard frost of the year so may be a factor(???).

Went through 1st to 3rd no problem, then tried to move into 4th, but the gear would not engage. No grinding though. Went back down through the gears even skipping to 5th but still no luck when trying 4th.

Five minutes into the journey 4th finally selected but with a typical grinding noise for a brief moment as it slipped in. This continued each time I tried 4th, as I said it would select but there was the grinding noise briefly each time. 10 minutes later and since then there has not been an issue.

I haven't heard of anything like this before, particularly applying to one specific gear, but I am not a mechanic!

The car was serviced just over two months ago (4000 miles ago).

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like it could be the syncro going on 4thn gear! Have you had the gearbox oil changed? I'm going to do mine when the weather gets a bit better. Hope this helps...

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't had any problems since those few days. The car is driven at least 60 miles every day so it wasn't as if the car had been sitting idle for a while. Very strange!

Mistermena, thanks for the advice. Just under 50k on the clock at this stage. Not sure when the gearbox oil should be replaced but i'll do it anyway. One of the few relatively cheap and easy jobs to do! Can't say the same about a synchro though!

Reganlives, I have a service due in the next couple of weeks so i will be enquiring then.

• 1 month later...

I haven't had any problems since those few days. The car is driven at least 60 miles every day so it wasn't as if the car had been sitting idle for a while. Very strange!

Mistermena, thanks for the advice. Just under 50k on the clock at this stage. Not sure when the gearbox oil should be replaced but i'll do it anyway. One of the few relatively cheap and easy jobs to do! Can't say the same about a synchro though!

Reganlives, I have a service due in the next couple of weeks so i will be enquiring then.

Well I've changed the box oil on my car. I used Silkolene Pro SRG 75 (Full-synthetic ester racing gear oil) and what a difference it made. No more problems when changing gear when cold, and no crunches when going into 2nd anymore. Well worth the money from the guys at Opie Oils.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links