Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel Additives?

Hi all,

Just another little question i've thought of whilst in the run up to getting my IS300.

I currently run a Fabia vRS which has one of the VAG PD diesel engines in it. I've always used a product called 'Millers Sport 4', which is an additive designed specifically for that series of engines, added to each tank of fuel and gives the same sort of results as using the likes of BP Ultimate Diesel etc.... but costs less per tank than the extra price per litre of the Ultimate style fuel.

I just wondered if anybody used anything similar or the like in their IS's and had any recommendations as to which products i could look at.

Cheers

Dave.

So i take it from that, that there's nothing out there that works for these engines then?

Cheers

Dave.

Over the years, Oil companies with £millons of resources have never managed to produce additives that have any overall advantages except under laboratory conditions or at a cost much greater than justified by any improvement in economy, performance or longevity; it is not likely any small outfit will pull a magic rabbit out of the hat. However, some additives have proved useful under conditions specific to individuals or have provided imaginary benefits. All you can do is suck it and see - at least harmful additives are rare now.

So i take it from that, that there's nothing out there that works for these engines then?

Cheers

Dave.

Over the years, Oil companies with £millons of resources have never managed to produce additives that have any overall advantages except under laboratory conditions or at a cost much greater than justified by any improvement in economy, performance or longevity; it is not likely any small outfit will pull a magic rabbit out of the hat. However, some additives have proved useful under conditions specific to individuals or have provided imaginary benefits. All you can do is suck it and see - at least harmful additives are rare now.

The Vauxhall owners network did a substantial thread on this a few years ago and came to the conclusion that Acetone (nail-polish remover) in the correct quantity could show improvements in the order of 10% but you need to get beauty salon quality Acetone, which is almost pure, and this can be difficult. Google "Acetone as a fuel additive"

The other point is that oil companies aren't going to freely endorse products that cause you to use less of their own products.

Oil additives that promise reduced friction are another grey area and are more like snake oil. The shards of teflon in them can clog filters and do more harm than good. As an experiment, Briggs and Stratton ran an engine that had the oil "slick S0" treatment, without oil, along side an untreated B&S engine also without oil. The treated engine didn't last any longer than the untreated one!

Mike

I'm just going on the fact that without the millers sport 4 in my current car (and others in the owners club) the car does around 460-480 miles to a tank. With the millers sport 4 added the engine seems to run smoother (agreed this could all be in the mind) and more importantly i get approx 500-520 miles from a tank. There have been similar tests on the Briskoda forum which have actually had positive results for this product.

Before anybody says anything this wasn't a straight one tank after the other test but was built up over a couple of months and the two comparison tanks were done under very near equal conditions (Only difference would be the weather)..... My drive to work is approx 25 miles each way all motorway except approx a mile at each end. Cruise was used on each journey set to the same speed and there were no traffic issues on any of the journeys (all were clear runs at either 10pm or 6am). Also both tanks were used solely with this journey over and over again, the car wasn't used for other purposes during the periods in question.

The stuff in question is only the equivelent of putting super unleaded or diesel in the car rather than normal unleaded or diesel. It just works out cheaper than paying the extra at the pump. It turns out i've answered my own question in the end as upon looking at the Millers website for this post it appears they have just launched a new product for all petrol engines and another for all diesel engines rather than the older product that was designed mainly for the VAG euroIV PD engines. I'll get hold of some and have an experiment with the IS300 when i get her. :winky:

I guess the VAG PD engine users are just a lucky bunch. (Myself included as we will still have another Fabia vRS along with the Lexus).

Cheers

Dave.

The Millers Ecomax is about £13 from Halfords and will cover about 10 refills. That's £1.30 per tank so not exactly a fortune. Even a very small improvement would be worthwhile at today's fuel costs.

My point entirely. :D

When you consider the premium fuel costs around 4p or 5p a litre more and it's a 70 litre tank you would probably be putting, what, 60 litres in on an average fill up??? That's an extra £3 or so per tank where as the Millers style stuff does the same thing but for less than half the cost.

As i say i didn't realise Millers had got this new stuff out so will give it a try after i've done a couple of tanks without it on the IS when i get it. :)

Cheers

Dave.

There is a further point about additives already in your petrol. You have to take it on trust that they put it in. I'm sure we have all had the odd tankful that didn't feel right and, when we refill from the same station, it is OK. Makes me think. Put it in yourself and you know it is there. Rumour has it that supermarket stuff is low on additives, hence lower cost.

nope just that many of these topics about fuel and aditives i dont read them from the start...theirs loads search and you shall find.. :winky:

Not sure about PD owners being lucky.... The oil for these engines costs a fortune and my PD needs nearly 8 litres. Then the rest of the vehicle falls apart from round the engine.

Heres a tip for saving on fuel, no additives needed...... Don't press the right hand side pedal as far down, it's an old truck drivers trick.... I'll only charge you 10p every time you use this tip

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links