Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

O/d Button

Good day to all i am new to the forum and i am after some information in regards to the O/B button on the side of the gear lever. I do presume that this is an overdrive button, and the question which i am asking is should this be on or off whilst in normal drive conditions on a day to day basis ?, any information is greatly appreciated.

For day to day driving, it should be "ON". Although do remember that when it is on "ON", there are no lights. It is only when you turn it "OFF", that the "O/D OFF" light will come on on the dashboard.

When in "D", you can disengage the OD (i.e.: press button - orange light ON) to complete a quick passing maneuver: it's like shifting one gear down. When you don't need the accel anymore, you engage the OD again (i.e.: orange light OFF), in order to use your highest gear and save fuel (not that you can really save much fuel on an RX.... ;) )

When in "D", you can disengage the OD (i.e.: press button - orange light ON) to complete a quick passing maneuver: it's like shifting one gear down. When you don't need the accel anymore, you engage the OD again (i.e.: orange light OFF), in order to use your highest gear and save fuel (not that you can really save much fuel on an RX.... ;) )

In addition, of course, the principal purpose of turning off the overdrive (when the dashboard reminder light will come on) is to provide engine braking. It's for long descents - and achieves the same effect as, say, changing down from 5th gear to 4th in a manual car. For a really steep descent, you can move the gear selector from D to 2 or L, but that gives a fairly drastic amount of drag / engine braking. For a more modest amount, use the O/D Off button.

Mind you, there's a valid argument for not using the engine & gearbox to achieve braking, but use the brakes only. brake pads are cheaper to replace than gearboxes! But some of us old-school drivers are uncomfortable about relying on brakes alone, and prefer the gentler retardation of constant engine braking.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links