Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

High Intensity Headlight Problem

I have been experiencing intermittant problems with my headlights when dipped in that occassionally one or both go out. This can be quite exciting when approaching an on coming vehical on a narrow lane when you flick from full beam to dipped and everything goes blank! This has only happend once but it's once too often. The fault is intermittant and I can run for several days without it happening. Lexus service at Stoke tell me I need 2 new bulbs at a cost of £518, which I find extortionate. I have made enquiries about getting them from other suppliers but the only way seems to be to go via internet and purchase from the states at £50 each which is quite a saving.However there seems to be all sorts of horror stories from people who have done this to find the bulbs do not work correctly. Does anyone have a better solution to forking out the £518. I feel Lexus or their spares supplier are taking advantage of a closed market and a fault in their product I have never had an issue like this with light bulbs and I have been driving for over 40 yrs, my wife has a mercedes with similar zenon lights, her car is over 12 months older than mine and she has not had this problem. I suspect these bulbs have a known fault. ANy comments/ suggestions welcome if it's only sympathy for my plight, but remember this could be you!

Hi, sorry to read of this problem but I am not sure both the bulbs can fail some of the time and occasionally both together and yet work normally other times, my 450h lost one dipped beam (not sure if it went out more than once ) turned out to be headlamp control unit which was changed under the warranty. ( I would not listen to the price but thats why I extent the warranty every year) Recently saw the Sportcross N/S lamp go out when driving at night, stayed out for about a week while I sourced bulbs (some part as for the GS ) less than a tenner each but by the time they arrived by snail mail the lamp was working just fine and has stayed on ever since, the bulb supplier thought it might be the ballast failing but will have to wait and see(or not if its dark!)when it next fails. I have had Xenon lights on my cars for 400,000 plus miles and have never changed 1 bulb.

I am trying to find where I bought these bulbs from and will let you know if I find the receipt.

Regards Tony

Hi Tony , thanks for your response and any clues re source for your bulbs would be most kind.

I have had this problem for over 6 months and I originally assumed the problem to be electrical as both bulbs work ok most of the time and never fail on full beam. At present they are working fine but every now and then either right or left bulb fails in dipped. Sometimes one doesnt come on when switched on and other times I find one or both fail mid journey. Lexus insist the bulbs need replacing at £518 however I have read some comments re balaster issues and they are £600 each! Lexus also mentioned that the later models have a different model bulb which suggests maybe a known fault if it is the bulb. Ironically I've just had a recall notive from DVLA to cover replacement fuel pump and brake master cylinder.Lexus has toold me that it is not serious and they will carry out work in the new year. If my headlight issues are a result of knical for that own problem it's a pity DVLA are not recalling the vehical to cure that problem. I would have thought faulty headlights to be a rather serious safty issue.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links