Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I am considering a move from BMW (320i Touring) to Lexus, but I have never looked at Lexus before and have no idea about the model variations, and specifications.

Is there a link to the Brochure or something to give model differences and various options on the 400h.

Also has anyone come from a BMW 320i to a 400h and able to give any performance comparisons. I currently find the 320i struggles when going on holiday with full car. Would the 400h be more powerful?

Thanks

Andy

I have both a BMW 335D Coupe and a Lexus rx400h, usewd to have a 320D Touring so can make a reasoned assessment.

I went for the highest spec 400H, the SEL when purchasing as I do like plenty of toys to play with.

There is no doubt in my mind that the RX is a different driving experience, much more relaxed than the BMW, although the straight line performance of the RX is not to be sniffed at. There is no way that a RX will handle as well as the BMW on the twisty bits if you are a "press on" driver, but then what would you expect from a 2 ton car.

I average around 30mpg on the Lexus which is not as good as the diesel BMW. You should get this consumption on both short and long journeys. Did a trip to Limoges sitting at around 85mph on the French Autoroutes and still got close to 30mpg on the Lexus. If you drive it very gently on short journeys you should get around 35 to 38mpg.

I don't like the nav system as much as the BMW as it doesn;t seem as intuitive, but perhaps that will come with familiarity. Do not like the way you can't change the destination whilst on the move. Phone system is not as good and will not sync with my Blackberry. Got round this by manually loading numbers into the speed dial on the Lexus, gives you 30 numbers and you can access these whilst on the move.

Steering is much lighter although not as much feel as the BMW. I found the brakes on the Lexus a bit strange at first as you get both regenerative as well as ordinary braking, again you will get used to it.

Like the power rear door and the large amount of luggage space. Nicely finished inside and out and overall very pleased with the quality.

I have the luxury of owning both vehicles---which one would I keep if I could only have one? Difficult to say---I think it would depend on my useage. If I had to do a lot of long Continental journeys then probably the BMW, but for normal use then its the Lexus.

Hope that this is of help.

I don't like the nav system as much as the BMW as it doesn;t seem as intuitive, but perhaps that will come with familiarity. Do not like the way you can't change the destination whilst on the move. Phone system is not as good and will not sync with my Blackberry. Got round this by manually loading numbers into the speed dial on the Lexus, gives you 30 numbers and you can access these whilst on the move.

How did you do this?

I have a '55 plate 400h and cant manually key numbers into the phonebook.

I have an Iphone, and that wont sync the phone book, but WILL work with BT.

To the op, i have come from a Saab 9-3 diesel, and owned several BMW cars too.

I agree with everything Lydiamight said, but would rather have my lexus than the others. Possibly due to it being a little more unique too.

Thank you both for replies, the 320i i have does not have the iDrive (satnav etc) so anything the Lexus has is better( i hope!). I am not someone who drives with their foot flat to the floor at every possible moment, but i would like to have the option to be able to safely overtake even if the car is full, which is difficult in the BMW.

I have never owned an automatic before, but have driven some, how does the CVT compare to other automatics, in a manual i am used to dropping down a gear and putting foot down.

I will hopefully be going to look at some this weekend.

thanks

What is the difference between an SE and SE-L

only thing i can see is that the SE-L has the multimedia Pack as standard, so would an SE with Multimedia pack be exactly the same as an SE-L?

from the list

Lexus Parking Assist Monitor (included in Multimedia pack) is marked as not available on SE, should it be an option if it has multimedia?

same with CD Text Function

Small things but would be good to know if an SE with Multimedia pack is exactly the same as an SE-L

thanks

There are 3 main defferences (i believe)...

The base model does not have StaNav or reverse camera,

The next one (mine, the SE) does have SatNav and reverse camera,

The top one (SE-L) has Satnav and reverse camera, but also a Mark Levison stereo which is an uprated one to the SE.

The SE stereo is still a 6cd multi, and sounds great, so dont be put off that one, its just the L is better.

The earlier models (mine, 2005/6) did not have the stereo linked as such to the touch screen. What that means is that sounds cant be changed via the touch screen, like speaker positions, bass, radio etc, these have to be adjusted from the stereo itself, and you cant use the CD for DVD's. I believe you can with the newer SE (with a bit of tinkering) The SE-L has rear seat DVD players too.

I am sure to be corrected if i am wrong.

Note for AndyTKD - "only thing i can see is that the SE-L has the multimedia Pack as standard, so would an SE with Multimedia pack be exactly the same as an SE-L? "

Spot on with one exception - The models did drift around a bit since 2006 - in late 07 when I ordered mine there were (in addition to others) an SE, an SE-with-multimedia-pack, and an SE-L. SE (without pack) was just the standard 'dumb' dashboard. The SE-with-pack and SE-L both have the same multifunction display, Mark Levinson stereo, 6-DVD autochanger, rear camera, touch SatNav, (tape deck!) etc. The only difference at that time was that the SE-L had the independent rear in-car entertainment system (screens in back of headrests) as standard, whereas that was pretty much the only optional bit of kit in the SE-with-multimedia. So, front seat wise, at that time SE with multimedia pack was the same as an SE-L. If you wanted the rear screens then could buy them as an option or just by the SE-L (the only difference then being the badge on the back).

AndyTKD - I had a 2002 320i Touring automatic and there is just no comparison in performance. The RX has a 50% bigger engine but still uses hardly any more fuel when driven normally.

Big thing to consider at this time of year - I would have been housebound last week with the BMW, but RX is almost like a proper 4x4. The only difference is that there is no driver control - it is all computers - no "sports mode" or "snow mode".

I find that if I "floor it" to overtake, there is a bit of lag then a strong sideways pull on the wheel as the power kicks in - anyone else get this?

Ok, so i had a drive in a 07 rx400 sel. Coming frpm a manual bmw there will be a few things to get used too

The hand brake seems a little odd, didnt actually use it, how does it work on hill starts would the auto box stop it rolling back or would you still need the parking brake?

The bmw has lane changing indicators, so with a tap on indicator it flashes 3 times, does rx do this? It didnt seem to

Have read the satnav an Bluetooth wont work whilst on the move, can this be changed, what are rhe Bluetooth restrictions, can it still make and recieve calls.

I am thinking i only need an SE with multimedia pack as i already have removable dvd screens i could use.

Are there any differences through the years i should be aware of?

Thanks

Have read the satnav an bluetooth wont work whilst on the move, can this be changed, what are rhe bluetooth restrictions, can it still make and recieve calls.

Sat Nav does work whilst driving,ie, you can make rout changes while driving or your passenger can, it just requires 2009 onwards satnav update discs, the disks include new firmware. Blutooth is always on for receiving calls. To make outgoing calls you can select your most common called numbers and save them as 'Quick Dial', these numbers can be called on the move via the cars touch screen. You can of course use your phone to make calls but for obvious reasons not advisable.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links