Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking At A 2005 Gs300 - Ecu A Known Issue?

Hi folks,

I'm looking at a couple of 2005 GS300's next week but have been coming across various stories about an ECU issue.

Is there a known ECU issue on these models? Do they commonly go kaput?

One of my main reasons for looking at Lexus is reliability!

Any info appreciated.

Hi folks,

I'm looking at a couple of 2005 GS300's next week but have been coming across various stories about an ECU issue.

Is there a known ECU issue on these models? Do they commonly go kaput?

One of my main reasons for looking at Lexus is reliability!

Any info appreciated.

I also vaguely heard about this and am interested too.

I'd love to know "when" the ECU's broke down. Was this a thing from the first years, and if the ECU survived, it was agood one? Has Lexus quickly remediated to the issue?

Or is this fault that only appeared recently that early GS300's would start suffering ECU failures?

Thanks.

is this only a mk2 issue or are the mk1's prone to the ecu failing aswell???

be interesting to find out.

I'm not aware of any ECU issues ont he mk1.

To the OP, is it a late mk2 or early mk3 you are looking at?

It's an early MK3 I'm interested in.

A few people on here have had a problem with their ECUs. It seems to affect 05-06 cars. The cost to fix is very high as its the ECU and 2x oxygen sensors. My ECU packed in out of the blue. The error message was 'Check VSC' and after a trip to Lexus the diagnostic came back as the above problem.

The only thing you can do to put your mind at ease when buying is to buy a car where the ECU has been changed or buy an after market warranty.

What is your budget for your car?

A few people on here have had a problem with their ECUs. It seems to affect 05-06 cars. The cost to fix is very high as its the ECU and 2x oxygen sensors. My ECU packed in out of the blue. The error message was 'Check VSC' and after a trip to Lexus the diagnostic came back as the above problem.

The only thing you can do to put your mind at ease when buying is to buy a car where the ECU has been changed or buy an after market warranty.

What is your budget for your car?

I find this fascinating. An ECU is in no way an element that is subject to wear and Lexus should replace this for free for any car that has always had its Lexus services carried out, especially as it seems to be a known problem. (Face it, if we know it's a problem, they do.)

In the end, Lexus tries to maintain a "high quality" image.

I've had the computer of the gearbox on my former Merc S-class pack up after 5 years and 110000 miles. Merc* didn't even ask the question. They just replaced at their own cost saying the computer for the gearbox should not pack up. Simples.

* Note, this was the Merc dealer in Belgium where I normally service my Mercs. Not the arrogant and incompetent bunch of MB UK.

Yikes! Now this is scaring me off them completely. Wouldn't want to purchase a car that has reliability as it's main selling point only to discover it needs a £2K fix a couple of months into ownership...

Perhaps I should set my sights higher on and '07 or later model?

Yikes! Now this is scaring me off them completely. Wouldn't want to purchase a car that has reliability as it's main selling point only to discover it needs a £2K fix a couple of months into ownership...

Perhaps I should set my sights higher on and '07 or later model?

I wouldn't get scared off. Unfortunately, even (or actually "especially") when you buy a car from the manufacturers that built their reputation on quality (Merc and VW (and its sister makes)), you might get stung with the repair of one of the expensive high tech items.

Looking for a car with a 1 year warranty unfortunately won't help as an ECU might well pack up in 18 months or later.

I'd rather contact the Lexus dealer who has been servicing the car and check if the ECU has been swapped. By doing so, you will also hear what their views are on the problem.

Push comes to shove, an independent warranty afterwards might help.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links