Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sorry if this has been asked before...

My Mk4 heated seat seems to turn on automatically when the outside temp is 0 or lower. Has anyone else noticed this? The light doesn't show that it is on... Is this normal?

On another subject, I have just booked it in for offside front wheel bearing with Lexus Reading and it is going to cost a cool £295. Ouch. Usually do my own work but could not face it this time after many problems with bearings on other cars ranging from Renault Clio's to Ford Scorpios. Never had one that was easy so decided to bite the bullet this time and shell out to save myself from the misery of messing around with vices, pullers, hammers and bits of scaffold pipe! I have made sure the car is as dirty as possible so at least I get value for money from the free valet!

I always thought that when a dirty car turns up at the garage,

they probably think it is owned by someone that does not car

..... and then maybe they do their work accordingly.

I always wash and vac my car before the MOT too.

I also make sure the car is presented for an MOT very clean and tidy,the last time it was done it pulled out of the garage onto the road in front of me to go back to the parking area and I thought that looks a nice car before realising it was mine!.

To save money and hassle I think I would remove the complete hub unit then find a local engineering firm or garage to fit the bearing then reassemble my self.

The comment about the car being as dirty as possible was meant to be tongue in cheek... Obviously my sense of humour is not shared by all!!

It is very hard to tell someones humour by some letters on a screen. Tip of the day: Next time put a smiley face behind it, like so ;)

:)

Just to update... Took the Lexus in today for wheel bearing and MOT and for the second year in a row it passed with one advisory which was lower ball joint. Really have done no maintenance in the 18 months I have had it apart from a Lexus service for my service book, changed oil in transmission (complete change myself) and an oil change a couple of months back. For a 13 year old car that is incredible and shows what a great piece of engineering it is. This time I am not joking just incase anybody is wondering. Certainly made no difference that she was a little dirty and hadn't been hoovered for a while... And yes she came back looking good as new after her free valet. :whistling:

Just to update... Took the Lexus in today for wheel bearing and MOT and for the second year in a row it passed with one advisory which was lower ball joint. Really have done no maintenance in the 18 months I have had it apart from a Lexus service for my service book, changed oil in transmission (complete change myself) and an oil change a couple of months back. For a 13 year old car that is incredible and shows what a great piece of engineering it is. This time I am not joking just incase anybody is wondering. Certainly made no difference that she was a little dirty and hadn't been hoovered for a while... And yes she came back looking good as new after her free valet. :whistling:

Congrats. Another year of trouble free motoring :)

and ehm...this free valet. Does that come free with an MOT at the Lexus dealer?

Thanks Ruud...

Yes I got it free last year with just an MOT although they did charge me 26p for replacing a sidelight! The advice posted above is good about presenting your car clean and usually I would. However as I am comfortable with the guys at Lexus Reading I thought this year I would take advantage of the valet by leaving it dirty. I am after all paying a premium to have the car done by them so its not really free is it? (£50+)

I would also usually follow the advice about removing the hub and having the bearing removed and replaced by a local garage, indeed I have done this before with my old Scorpio but this time thought the old girl deserved being treated with some TLC by a 'real' mechanic. Plus I have a lot on with work so couldn't face the hassle of doing any of it myself and arranging lifts to somewhere with a press.

I am all for minimising cost where possible, and have in the past posted asking about reputable non Lexus garages, however after trying the first one suggested and not even getting a call back even after chasing I decided to go back to Lexus. I would not trust my car to any garage that had not been recommended by someone I trust so this felt like the right thing to do. Usually I would do my own work and the guys on here are invaluable in this respect, especially Steve2006. But sometimes I just don't have time to work on the car myself so thought I would share my experience and cost of a Lexus main dealer for anyone else in a similar situation. Must admit I felt I shouldn't have bothered after the first couple of replies because it felt like I was being criticised for it...

Thanks Ruud...

Yes I got it free last year with just an MOT although they did charge me 26p for replacing a sidelight! The advice posted above is good about presenting your car clean and usually I would. However as I am comfortable with the guys at Lexus Reading I thought this year I would take advantage of the valet by leaving it dirty. I am after all paying a premium to have the car done by them so its not really free is it? (£50+)

I would also usually follow the advice about removing the hub and having the bearing removed and replaced by a local garage, indeed I have done this before with my old Scorpio but this time thought the old girl deserved being treated with some TLC by a 'real' mechanic. Plus I have a lot on with work so couldn't face the hassle of doing any of it myself and arranging lifts to somewhere with a press.

I am all for minimising cost where possible, and have in the past posted asking about reputable non Lexus garages, however after trying the first one suggested and not even getting a call back even after chasing I decided to go back to Lexus. I would not trust my car to any garage that had not been recommended by someone I trust so this felt like the right thing to do. Usually I would do my own work and the guys on here are invaluable in this respect, especially Steve2006. But sometimes I just don't have time to work on the car myself so thought I would share my experience and cost of a Lexus main dealer for anyone else in a similar situation. Must admit I felt I shouldn't have bothered after the first couple of replies because it felt like I was being criticised for it...

If you were criticesed at all, I'm sure it was constructive:)

I pay £50 for an MOT at my local garage. Hmm..I must find out what Lexus charges.

The MOT was £54.85 to be exact, just grabbed the invoice out of the car to have a look for you. My advice, for what it's worth, would be to stick to your local garage if you have used them before and are comfortable with them... The total bill for parts (bearing, circlip, grease etc), labour and MOT was £350.17

Not a bad price for 18 months of motoring already, and hopefully some trouble/expense free months ahead! Spent far more on my scorpio, which was newer by a few months, over the same period and then consigned it to the big banger race in the sky.

The MOT was £54.85 to be exact, just grabbed the invoice out of the car to have a look for you. My advice, for what it's worth, would be to stick to your local garage if you have used them before and are comfortable with them... The total bill for parts (bearing, circlip, grease etc), labour and MOT was £350.17

Not a bad price for 18 months of motoring already, and hopefully some trouble/expense free months ahead! Spent far more on my scorpio, which was newer by a few months, over the same period and then consigned it to the big banger race in the sky.

You're probably right. Why change anything that goes well.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links