Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Squeaky Brakes First Thing

I had the front pads replaced about 300 miles ago but I've noticed that the brakes always squeal at the first couple of applications - usually when the cars been parked for a few days or even just overnight. It's not a major issue as they don't squeal afterwards and all is fine.

Just wondering if anyone else has this 'London cab' problem - the pads are not OEM, don't know if OEM would do the same thing? The garage has cleaned them up and deglazed the pads but no change.

Squealing brakes usually means that part of the brake assembly is vibrating. Usually the brake pads.

The common cure for this is a smear of copper grease over the back/metal pate of the new brake pads.

Although i would have assumed that your garage would have done this already. Woerth asking them though.

Some brake assemblies also incorporate anti squeal plates or springs. The replacement of these, on reassemble, may have been missed. Causing the brakes to squeal.

I once fitted non OEM front pads and they were awful! They squealed like pigs and produced enough dust to nearly match the Icelandic volcano,replaced them with OEM and all sorted.

Like Sir John mentioned make sure the anti rattle shims are fitted,they are stainless steel so never rust,check for copper grease on all moving/contact areas and make sure the caliper pins are free to move.

Mine money's on the pads themselves.

Just a stab into the dark.

I take it the make of pads where BLUE PRINT?

Look at the surface of the pad and you'll see a lot of pit holes on the surface.

Get a better make of pads.

FERODO and then APEC.

Just a stab into the dark.

I take it the make of pads where BLUE PRINT?

Look at the surface of the pad and you'll see a lot of pit holes on the surface.

Get a better make of pads.

FERODO and then APEC.

Hello guys,

I agree with this post.

I recently changed the pads on my LS and have been plagued with squealing brakes ever since.

I can't remember the brand of pads which I put in first of all but they were the cheapest I could find.

I got so hacked off with the noise I replaced them with Blueprint ones (as I had just fitted a new set of Blueprint discs) and, you guessed it, they are just as bad as the cheaper ones were.

I spoke to the chap in the local garage and he told me to fit a better quality pad, for example, Ferodo.

When I have some spare cash I will be trying a set as the squealing is driving me nuts!

Good luck with yours V2L, if you do change pads and the noise stops, let us know.

Thanks.

Steve.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links