Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Chipping An Rx

• 6 months later...

I looked into this and wondered how this would work with the electric motor. If you tune the petrol part will this be out of sync with the power of the electric motor (I'm which case they would wear out competing with each other),, or does the electric motor just accompany the power whatever? Just my own ignorance really.

Would be really interested if you've found any more as I'd like to safely attempt that on my rx450.

I interested in this and wondered how this would work with the electric motor. If you tune the petrol part will this be out of sync with the power of the electric motor (I'm which case they would wear out competing with each other),, or does the electric motor just accompany the power whatever? Just my own ignorance really.

Would be really interested if you've found any more as I'd like to safely attempt that on my rx450.

The non hybrid RX's would probably be fairly easily tuned.

Standard chip tuning could produce some increased power outputs, as would induction and exhaust improvements.

Not sure how much pwer increase potential there is, but, i'm sure that the chip tuning companies would look at it ifthe havent already.

The hybrids are another matter.

Remember that the transmission is not a standard mechanical transmission.

It has an ecvt, where the cvt function is created by clever control of a pair of motor generators.

There is no direct path of torque transmission from the engine to the wheels.

It all goes through the motor generators.

Its not clear to me wether an increased output from the engine would proide a greater output at the wheels.

Its likely that the max power troughput is limited electroncally ( some form of current protection)

Any "chip" tuning would most likely have to include changes to the ecvt control to fully reap the tuning benefits.

But i doubt wether the electric motor generators have much additional capacity to transmit torque. It would demand more iron in the cores, more copper in the windings. Etc...

Additionally, the tuning is likely to reduce the fuel economy. The hybrid drive works closely with the normal torque curve.

Change that curve, and all bets are off...

Would be interested to know if anyone has done it.

But with such good performance figures for the fuel economy, and such costly parts to replace if it goes wrong, why bother?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links