Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Slowly getting bits and pieces done on my 400. :)

Now I know that at some point the UCA's will need to be done but can anyone advise me - what are the symptoms that show the upper control arms need replacing?

(I can get some from the US at much cheaper prices than the Lexus dealer and was wondering whether to get them done anyway). Car is a Nov 98 400.

You can't really tell just by looking at them unless it is obvious the rubber inserts are completely shot or the gaitor on the ball joint is torn.

Typical symptoms consist of a knocking/clonking noise over poor road surfaces ( most of the UK road network!) but there are also other causes like bottom ball joints, anti roll bar bushes,suspension top mounts and possible vague handling.

If they don't get mentioned at MOT time leave them be.

If its the upper from contol arm you are talking about it easy to test them. jack up the front corner and use a pulling/pushing heave hoe at 12/6 o`clock and 3/9 o`clock.

If they are knackered you will see the ball joint rocking about.

replacing then is a 15 monute a side job.

PS; go on you tube and search for a Deals on Wheels 4 parter where the mechanic does it.

If its the upper from contol arm you are talking about it easy to test them. Jack up the front corner and use a pulling/pushing heave hoe at 12/6 o`clock and 3/9 o`clock.

PS; go on you tube and search for a Deals on Wheels 4 parter where the mechanic does it.

Would that be Wheeler Dealers? :)

If its the upper from contol arm you are talking about it easy to test them. Jack up the front corner and use a pulling/pushing heave hoe at 12/6 o`clock and 3/9 o`clock.

probably. Its a while since i watched them on you tube and i havent had a TV for about 20 years...really.

probably. Its a while since i watched them on you tube and i havent had a TV for about 20 years...really.

You haven't missed much and saved yourself over £2000 in licence fees!

You haven't missed much and saved yourself over £2000 in licence fees!

I refuse to get one. Mainly because i dont think it will take off. a bit like the electric guitar and the internet. :blink:

Thanks chaps. It went a little off topic there but some useful info. :P.

I checked out the youtube stuff - v handy.

I had a look under the car with my garage and the rubbers seem to be fine, no splits or excessive movement. They felt whoever inspected it previously for MOT was being very very picky. This may explain why the ball joints came up as an advisory on an MOT a couple of years ago but not last years one. So even between MOT testers there is some variance.

That's lucky then ........... good to know that not all MOT Testerts are too picky and that as expected, your LS will live on and long with little trouble ! :hehe:

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links