Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello,

This is my first post apologies if in wrong are. I have today purchased a 1997 GS300 with 112k. The car needs a good clean and some paintwork but appears to be driving fine and all the electrics are working with no warning lights.

My queries are;

Nearside boot area is smelling of fuel, could be that some has been spilt in the past in the boot, just wanted to know if fuel/tank leaks were a common issue.

Also in this are there is water ingress just to the side of where the jack should be, again any suggestion where water could be coming from would be great.

Where can I find Paint Code, car is Silver met

Bonnet cable is stretched and out of its pull, can this be fixed easily?

The engine bay needs a good clean, but my main concern is that the strut tops are rusty as are the radiator brackets,will wire brush them,shouls I paint or just leave.

No doubt I will have further questions once I get a right good look at the car tomorrow, please any advice or things that I should look for will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wouldnt say that the fuel smell is a common issue, the fuel tank is actually in the boot (behind the panel at the back of the boot) which is why the boot looks smaller than you would expect. Drop the lining down and check it out. Could be coming from any point in the fuel system in the boot.

Water by the jack could be boot lid seal, electric aerial or sunroof drain pipe. Getting behind the liner is easy enough down that side to check.

The paint code should be on the vin plate under the bonnet. There will be a 3 digit code (mine is 8M6) on there. From what I remember, there should be a chasis code, a transmission code, and the paint code.

No idea with the bonnet pull, but I wouldn't expect it to be a tricky job.

Clean up and lick of paint on the rad brackets and strut tops is what I'd do. As long as the strut towers are ok, then it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

As far as other things go, standard stuff to check out really, suspension bushes, ball joints etc. Very common issue is sticking calipers and slide pins on the brakes, so worth a look and regrease the slide pins. Check when last cambelt was done. It is a non-interference engine on these cars (mk1), so no damage will occur if the cam belt does break, it would just be inconvenient.

Wouldnt say that the fuel smell is a common issue, the fuel tank is actually in the boot (behind the panel at the back of the boot) which is why the boot looks smaller than you would expect. Drop the lining down and check it out. Could be coming from any point in the fuel system in the boot.

As far as other things go, standard stuff to check out really, suspension bushes, ball joints etc. Very common issue is sticking calipers and slide pins on the brakes, so worth a look and regrease the slide pins. Check when last cambelt was done. It is a non-interference engine on these cars (mk1), so no damage will occur if the cam belt does break, it would just be inconvenient.

That is if it is in fact a Series 1. I thought '97 was the model change year so could be Series 2?

]That is if it is in fact a Series 1. I thought '97 was the model change year so could be Series 2?

I'm sure the first mk2's were '98 on an 'R' plate, and the last mk1's were '97 on an 'R'.

gmacalex, just to make sure, does yours look like the blue or red one in my sig?

]That is if it is in fact a Series 1. I thought '97 was the model change year so could be Series 2?

I'm sure the first mk2's were '98 on an 'R' plate, and the last mk1's were '97 on an 'R'.

gmacalex, just to make sure, does yours look like the blue or red one in my sig?

Hi it's the red one, managed to fix fuel line quite pleased seems to be fine.The water leak in nearside boot is difficukt to trace tried hosing the aerial to see if that was the cause but I think the rubber seal is past its best will try and replace. tried to get wiper arm off as it's badly corroded but despite nut coming off easy I could not pull the wiper off, am I misssing a trick?. Just tried the cd player and although it loads and ejects it does not reat to the CD button on stereo, could this be a loose connection?

ave the struts and other rusty parts a good wire brush and a light hammerite spray bay looks much better. Checked all thelevels they are spot on and seem to be clean.

Brakes are fine and box is changing smoothly, despite it still needing a seroius valet I am really starting to like this old Lexus.

Thanks for your help

Gordon

Hi it's the red one, managed to fix fuel line quite pleased seems to be fine.The water leak in nearside boot is difficukt to trace tried hosing the aerial to see if that was the cause but I think the rubber seal is past its best will try and replace. tried to get wiper arm off as it's badly corroded but despite nut coming off easy I could not pull the wiper off, am I misssing a trick?. Just tried the cd player and although it loads and ejects it does not reat to the CD button on stereo, could this be a loose connection?

ave the struts and other rusty parts a good wire brush and a light hammerite spray bay looks much better. Checked all thelevels they are spot on and seem to be clean.

Brakes are fine and box is changing smoothly, despite it still needing a seroius valet I am really starting to like this old Lexus.

Thanks for your help

Gordon

At least that confirms it is a mk1.

Nice result on the fuel line :)

The wipers are just a tapered spline fit, so plenty of wobbling should free it up.

I recently bought my Mk2 GS 300 & am still going through the 'checking' phase that you also are. I too have water getting into the boot area, both sides. I believe it's leaking in through the two inner bolt holes for the rear lights. There is usually a rubber washer to form a seal between light & body but nothing on mine, probably lost when renewing bulbs over the years. I found a couple of washers & also used some windscreen sealant. Seems to have cured the nearside but offside still leaking. Try this.

Lexus dealer will identify paint for you - just go to parts dept. Readily gave 10% discount for LOC membership.

Despite my Service book having no stamp in at 100K, Lexus Stockport printed out their dealer service history for the car which showed a 100K service at Lexus Liverpool. A quick call to them verified the timing belt was changed at that service (great peace of mind!) & they offerd to stamp the book if I sent it along to them. Can't fault the co-operation of everyone so far, & for a 9-year old car.

Really pleased with my purchase, hope you are.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just an update of progress with my old Lexus. Fuel leak defintely fixed. Cannot get the headunit to operate the cd player at all, despite discs loading and ejecting fine. I am going to change electric aerial mast today,following the info on this site. Found the colour code and trim code ion the handbook....should have looked ther first so have mamnaged to do various touch ups till funds afford better repair particulary on front bumper.

Leak in boot seems to have stopped, could have been the aerial after all as I tightened it to its limit, so will need to be careful when changing today.

Gave car a good clean and some leather treatment which has worked well so all in all really pleased so far, if I could do something with the stereo/cd I would be a happy man.

Cheers

I may be wrong here as not sure which system the GS has but if it's Pioneer with the cartridge the discs normally load playing side up,lable side down.It may be worth checking this.

Just a wee update, managed to change the electric aerial mast, thanks to this forum, also go the 12 disc changer out to take apart tomorrow and have a look. Bit of water in spare wheel area, so may have another leak. Any good leather conditioners for leather for the dry cracked areas.

Thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links