Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Quick Car Cleaning Help Please

Hi everyone. Just a quick question bout car cleaning. I have a green is200 and want to do a minidetail. If i folow the following process would it be right

* wash car using meguires wash mitt and and meguires gold class shampoo

* clay the car

* wash car again with above process

* dry the car

* polish car using poorboys black hole All round car or AG super resin polish

* wax the car using AG HD Wax

And finally

* apply a layer of AG Extra Protection Gloss

Sorry maybe it wasn't a quick question after all. I have all the above products but just dont really know the way to go about it. Any help/advice would be really appreciated. Thanks to all in advance

HI....

Use either Extra Gloss Protection or HD Wax ....... there is no need to use both....

Both give good protection but the HD wax, in my opinion, gives a better finish

The rest of the detailing process is correct...

Lets hope the weather stays nice enough to complete it :)

Hi everyone. Just a quick question bout car cleaning. I have a green is200 and want to do a minidetail. If i folow the following process would it be right

* wash car using meguires wash mitt and and meguires gold class shampoo

* clay the car

* wash car again with above process

* dry the car

* polish car using poorboys black hole All round car or AG super resin polish

* wax the car using AG HD Wax

And finally

* apply a layer of AG Extra Protection Gloss

Sorry maybe it wasn't a quick question after all. I have all the above products but just dont really know the way to go about it. Any help/advice would be really appreciated. Thanks to all in advance

Cleaning the car is not a mystery. detailing is not new or a Process - just a recent word for normally thoroughly washing and polishing the car. It helps to know what you are trying to achieve by each step. It is never quick and always involves a fair bit of effort. Remember it is a car and not an exhibit, so the job is for satisfaction and not an obsession.

1. Wash/rinse grime, grit, tar etc off. Do not use a Car Shampoo which will apply wax you only have to remove at the next stage, or Washing-up Liquids which contain finish-damaging Salt, or Industrial Detergents that can directly attack the finish. Ordinary Bath-Foam is fine for this and rises easily.

2. Use very fine abrasive whose particles scrape off old polish, dirt embedded in the paint and also can minimise micro-scratches by wearing the surrounding finish away to the same level. These all work the same way. The stuff you want to remove prefers to stick to the gritty abrasive particles which have to be ultra-fine to avoid scoring the finish. You can use expensive, inconvenient clay or Colour Restorer for Metallics (finer particles than for ordinary paint) which is much easier to use and contains the same materials. Half the job is done rubbing it on, the other half when you rub it off. Removal must use clean cotton cloths or clumps of removed stuff will scratch the finish. If this stage is done very frequently, there is a danger of permanently removing too much of the very thin lacquer finish on most cars.

3. Quickly wash/rinse to remove any loose dust etc.

4. Apply a thin coat of clear Wax. Polish off with CLEAN soft cloth. A buffing mop can produce a gleaming finish which will not last long because less than very skilled use removes virtually every trace of the wax you have so carefully applied and is more likely to leave swirls. Buffing/polishin off is to spread the peaks in the wax into an even, thin layer whilst filling any small pits in the finish. The very best results may not be apparent until a couple of washes later.

5. Optionally, a couple of days later, wash and apply a final coat of finishing wax. Any sooner, then the existing wax will be dissolved and removed by the new wax.

6. Wash car once a week or so. You can use a Wax Shampoo which tends to replace the wax it washes off. Using a good natural Chamois-leather seems to work best and polishes up the wax as you use it.

There is a wide range of waxes available. Excluding those with abrasives built-in, there is not a lot to choose between them. Most of the wonder additives work as well as raspberry extract does for Shampoo. Use whatever works best for you.

How long the shine lasts is down to how quickly the wax is degraded by sunlight, washed off by rain, worn away by the sand-blast effect of driving through the fine dust in the air etc.

Then there is the interior...........

Welcome to the Club :) i would recommend getting a drying towel instead of a chamois-leather as that will make drying faster. Also when using the claybar just make sure everything is well lubricated and if you drop it then just put it in the bin.

Col

Hi thanks to those who replied. Last week after washing my car i used Poorboys Black Hole, can i wash the car again this week and apply AG HD wax or do i need to polish car again before applying wax?

Thank You

If you were satisfied with the claying and other preparation you did last week; just wash the car to remove any grit, dust etc. that has accumulated since and which could scratch the finish. Then apply your wax. Wax can safely be applied to a clean surface at any time. Plain waxes will build up, but waxes (usually in liquid form) that leave an obvious white residue will remove the previous layer.

Hi thanks to those who replied. Last week after washing my car i used Poorboys Black Hole, can i wash the car again this week and apply AG HD wax or do i need to polish car again before applying wax?

Thank You

:whistling: I have clay kit, AG shampoo, AG ERP, EGP, HD Wax, Custom Wheel Cleaner amongst other things. I'm quite happy for you to pop over and use them on my car to see the finish they can give.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links