Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Handbrake

jac114

:D Ive got somethin useful (at last) Somebody is bound to say Im wrong but when I got my GS300 the handbrake pads where worn and I had to replace them. I thought that they where self adjusting but even if they are they need to be set up manually by using a screwdriver through the hole in the drum first (the hole might or should have a bung in it), the adjuster (knurled knob) is at the bottom and can be turned quite easily. I tightened it up and then backed it off until the wheel spun freely. took it for a run and did it again. Result the hand or should I say footbrake actually worked which it didnt when I bought it. Considering the garage put a new MOT on it, makes you wonder does it not?

Looked drivers side found rubber bung but know ajustment screw behind ..so tried passenger side again found bung and this time in the hole there was a kind of slot with what looked like the edge of a wheel half showing hard to discribe and no chance of taking a photo tried to spin the wheel with a screwdriver but failed so have now given up.. anymore ideas would be good DLJ

Jac

jac.

The longest way is sometimes the quickest and easiest. If you remove the rear disc assembly, you will be able to work out which way the adjuster works. Chances are it will be seized and/or full off brake dust. In theory, these small shoes should never wear out because they are never applied when the vehicle is moving, however im sure if you look at them you will see quite a bit of wear on the leading shoes.

Its a clever set up and works well if its maintained correctly but like most things, its out of sight, out of mind. :crybaby:

Randys right I took off the drums first to change the shoes this let me work out how to adjust them, my shoes had worn as if someone had driven with the handbrake on. The adjuster at the bottom can be turned quite easily through the hole with a flat bladed srewdriver once you work out which way to turn it.

The drums will just pull off but may be grabbed by the handbrake pads which then means either backing off the adjuster or struggling to pull it off, but it will come.

I used a torch to look into the hole when adjusting to make sure that it was all lined up, hope that this helps.

Ps when you clean inside dont oil the bits but you can use copper grease lightly on the pivots etc. I used a high pressure jet wash to clean and made sure that it was dry after. I got the new shoes from Autocare in Essex, pattern parts at about £25.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links