Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tuning An Is200

Hi all, how are we this evening?

Im almost in ownership of my is200 which im so excited, just waiting on a few things to materilise with the car.

Now this has probably been asked many times but as i use a mobile for the forum and struggle searching things i need some advise please.

I really am thinking about planting a turbo in my new baby, but i dont know exctly everything thing that ill need apart from the turbo i.e intercooler and what needs to be uprated and remap etc for optimum performance....

And prices for these things so i can look at a bll park figure for it all.

This would be a real help guys and really looking forward to future posts and discussions with u guys!

Cheers

well i have done this, now running 320bhp on a standard engine with no problems at all.

i would say to you how much power are you after.

easy way is to find a charger for 2000 pounds or so and with a hour or 2 you can run 200 + bhp

turbo involves a lot more

first you will need to put a oil return into the sump so that means removing the sump and welding a fitting to it.

you will need a big shopping list of parts

injectors

turbo

intercoller

fuel ´return lines and fittings

wastegate

bov

pipping and silcone hoses

piggyback ecu or stand alone ecu

manifold

new exhaust

boost gauge, oil temp gauge and air/fuel gauge

lots of time and a extra car to use

i'm not but i do get to work faster than when i drive the corolla verso.

was going for a 500 bhp build but not 100% sure that that will go ahead.

i think if you wanting to do a turbo build then save up plenty of money to get it done right, there are still loads of things i did not list, like boost controller, turbo timer, oil catch tank, and more

you have a few other options,

1g gte engine swap, mk3 supra double turbo with 210 basic but easy up and over 300 with a boost controller, i just sold my one complete but they do come up from time to time on eBay,

2jz gte engine swap, supra mk4, twin turbo with 350 bhp, easy to pust higher,

2jz from a gs300 or other toyota/lexus engine and then a turbo kit for more power.

v8 monster like a guy in the usa, took a corvet engine and gearbox and shoe horned it into his is300,

but what ever you do think that this will cost a bit to fit and fix, make sure you have the funds to finnish the job as if you have to sell you loose about half of the costs, know of one or 2 that hit this wall when getting all the bits ready for a install.

Another option is to go and buy a 1JZ-gte vvti engine and R154 gearbox. Utterly ridiculous amount of torque available from sub 1000 rpm and it won't be that much heavier than a turbo 1g-fe. Also got extremely good after market support.

edit: officially 280bhp with a stock engine, with some extremely good tuning potential.

Turbo 1g-fe could do that, I'd put the 1g-gte internals in though. Quite a lot of people just replace it for the 1G-GTE (old twin turbo supra engine) and be done with it. I reckon the cheapest option would be a turbo 1g-fe. As far as I can work out, it seems to be a mixed bag as to when people uprate the internals though. Some people run over 300 fine and others turn to mush at 280 or so. I've been looking in to this quite heavily lately. Got the 1G-GTE crank, rods and pistons sat in my garage waiting to go in. I reckon if you shopped around and did most of the work yourself you could probably just about manage on £5-6k. You are best off asking someone who has done it as I'm basing this on a few solid months of digging about on the net. You have to start thinking about other things once you up the power though; brakes, handling, clutch etc. so it will get very expensive very quickly. I'm basically trying to save £10k, though that brings it squarely in to 1JZ territory.

well the price sounds about right, and everybody will tell you it's a long hard process to make it all come together but worth it in the end, a pic of mine from last year, has had a lot changed out over the last year to bring it up to what i want it to look like, next on my list is larger brakes this month, new rear bumper to fit and spray, more boost and bigger wheels

IMG_0094.jpg

2011-06-19150032-1.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links