Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Scrapping Noise When I Try To Change Gear? 220D.

wlaffey2005

Hi guys,

Just a quick question I have an 09 is 220d with 20k on the clock. Love the car . slow as hell pulling off but I can live with that , cause of the overall drive.

I have set up a service plan with Lexus Stockport for my next three services. I am due a service @ 23,000 in roughly 3wks. My problem is the scrapping when I depress the clutch preparing to shift from 1st to 2nd then to 3rd, it goes after this... the car is other warranty until March 2012 @ which point I will extend the warranty. is this something to worry about? Or is it just like the tud from 1st to 2nd.. Just accepted it?

Thanks guys.

Yeah I have noticed similar problem, have same car 220D owned for 3 weeks and although I'am getting used to it, the change from 1st to 2nd is'nt good and sometimes jumps out. No problem with the rest of gear changes. Can other owners tell us if this a common complaint and we just get used to it!!!! Cheers

Hi guys,

Just a quick question I have an 09 is 220d with 20k on the clock. Love the car . slow as hell pulling off but I can live with that , cause of the overall drive.

I have set up a service plan with Lexus Stockport for my next three services. I am due a service @ 23,000 in roughly 3wks. My problem is the scrapping when I depress the clutch preparing to shift from 1st to 2nd then to 3rd, it goes after this... the car is other warranty until March 2012 @ which point I will extend the warranty. is this something to worry about? Or is it just like the tud from 1st to 2nd.. Just accepted it?

Thanks guys.

I have 2006 IS 220d. The gear gaitor tightened up or something and it was making a scraping noise when I changing gear. It was nothing to do with the clutch. Sorted under warranty a while back.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there:

I think my IS is having the same noise, I have recored that noise and uploaded onto my topic, please see topic:

"09 Reg Is220D, Spinning Noise From Clutch Or Transmissiion"

The noise sounds like something is still spinning after the clutch pedal is pressed down.

I have been to both Manchester lexus and stockport lexus, technicians form both dealership claimed the noise is normal.

has anyone ever had this problem sorted and how?

Thank you

This is the DMF or a scored clutch release bearing shaft. Lexus dealers are morons - they are telling us all that this is normal like we are idiots. Puts me right off and leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. Don't know how they keep winning Customer Satisfaction Awards - must be a lot of gullible pensioners driving them, or the petrol autos must be awesome.

This is the DMF or a scored clutch release bearing shaft. Lexus dealers are morons - they are telling us all that this is normal like we are idiots. Puts me right off and leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. Don't know how they keep winning Customer Satisfaction Awards - must be a lot of gullible pensioners driving them, or the petrol autos must be awesome.

Hi there:

My clutch release bearing as well as the cover were replaced a week ago at lexus manchester, but I dont not think that the noise was sorted.

I then drive to lexus stockport, and technicians there also claimed its normal.

Finally, I poped into my trusted local garage, ask them to drive, guess what, they siad the same thing!

So im now learning to live with it. I personally found that when in colder weathers, the noise seems to be quiter.

Good luck!

The Release Bearing SHAFT! IS uses the Aisin RA60 series transmission and is known for chattering problems amongst others. I'm tired of repeating myself so do your own research folks, you have the info necessary. A TSK may solve it, but the an oversized bearing is necessary.

The Release Bearing SHAFT! IS uses the Aisin RA60 series transmission and is known for chattering problems amongst others. I'm tired of repeating myself so do your own research folks, you have the info necessary. A TSK may solve it, but the an oversized bearing is necessary.

Hi chuckie888:

Thanks for your reply, and i am that sorry I missed the key word "shaft".

Well could you be more specify in how to sovle the problem? shall I ask the Lexus dealer to replace the clutch bearing shaft? or what do you mean by a "TSK"

Thank you

Andy

The shaft is an integrated part of the gearbox unfortunately.

Transmission Sleeve Kit. Is a stainless steel sleeve which fits over the shaft, but you will then need a an oversized release bearing.

Toyota have a TSB out in the USA for cars with this gearbox(AISIN RA60 series) and problem.

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2011/02/19/clutch-bearing-tsb/

Hi chuckie888:

Thanks for your reply, and i am that sorry I missed the key word "shaft".

Well could you be more specify in how to sovle the problem? shall I ask the Lexus dealer to replace the clutch bearing shaft? or what do you mean by a "TSK"

Thank you

Andy

Shaft is integral with gearbox casing I'm afraid.

TSK = Transmission Sleeve Kit. It is a stainless steel sleeve which fits over the shaft but means you'll need an oversized bearing to fit over it. I have not tried this as yet, but there is a TSB from Toyota which basically discards this theory saying that scoring on the shaft is NORMAL! They advise change of pivot support and clutch release(slave) cylinder.

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2011/02/19/clutch-bearing-tsb/clutch-bearing-tsb.pdf

Just had my car serviced, but in addition, had the transmission fluid changed to Amsoil/Honda MTF, which has made it a bit smoother. The mech also inspected the clutch squeak and said it was NOT the release bearing. The whole clutch unit was very dry and it was probably the pressure plate fingers themselves (new). He tried to lube the metal to metal contact points but cannot get to all of it or see if was the DMF or release bearing shaft which is the cause of my woes. Overall, it is now a little lighter and smoother but still has the "ker-chunk" when releasing the clutch every now and then.

Shaft is integral with gearbox casing I'm afraid.

TSK = Transmission Sleeve Kit. It is a stainless steel sleeve which fits over the shaft but means you'll need an oversized bearing to fit over it. I have not tried this as yet, but there is a TSB from Toyota which basically discards this theory saying that scoring on the shaft is NORMAL! They advise change of pivot support and clutch release(slave) cylinder.

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2011/02/19/clutch-bearing-tsb/clutch-bearing-tsb.pdf

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links