Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 ('99), Long Term Reliability

gabry902

Hi all, I bought my Is200 about 8 months ago, and I love it even more than the first day. I would keep this car as long as I can, but I have some doubts.

I know very well the undisputed Toyota quality and reliability, this made me buy a 12 years old car with more than 100k km.

I treat with much care, but often I like to shift at higher revs (like 4 or 5k), and sometimes I take fast corners.

I was wondering (passenger's risks apart), if it could damage the transmission, or something else.

Somebody said that it will ruin he car, because all the mechanical parts are stressed.

Other said that it does nothing harmful, because it was built to resist until the rev limiter.

I check the water level regularly, and let the car in Toyota's technicians hands for normal mainteinance (like replacing the timing belt).

How long it could last if I continue this way, without having serious and expensive problems?

Thank you

True. The harder you drive it the more wear and tear it will have. I don't think you would damage the transmission unless you are revving it so high that it bounces off the limiter.

Check when the clutch was last replaced and the gearbox/diff oil. If it was a long time ago then it could be a concern if you like to drive the car hard.

I treat it with respect and care, I don't try any drifting/diffing/burnout/quick launches.

I never pull the 1st, and (seldom) the 2nd gear at high revs, so I don't stress the transmission very much. I shift at higher revs only after 15/20 minutes after the engine is running so I am sure it is heated enough. I never push all the gas pedal max 3/4 if I have to shift at higher revs, and even more gently if there are some passengers (as t becomes heavier and don't want to stress it.

A while ago, I used to shift around 2k (to be more efficient on fuel). But the engine seems to be stressed, because it runs under its powerband.

Since I have started to shift at 3k, iI have noticed that (obviously) the engine response is way better, but surprisingly the fuel consumption is the same.

mines done nearly 180k and it runs like new.

Edit: I rag the hell out of mine most days. Take it gently in the mornings, but aside from that I'll be going as fast as I have grip for. Never put a foot wrong, missed 5th a few times and it doesn't even care. It cost me 2 grand, so if it blows up, I'll buy another one.

These cars are phenomenally reliable. Mine's a '99 and the only things I've had to replace are the consumables you'd expect. Tyres, brakes and a cambelt that lasted to 148K miles! Oh and the OEM CD player but that goes without saying on these. I think the clutch might need doing on mine soon but 165K on one clutch ain't bad at all!

As for revving, these cars seem happier when shifting higher up the rev range. As said in a previous post, changing below 3000rpm seems to cause the engine to labour more. I find mine's happiest when changing between 3K/4K revs.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links