Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all

I know this has probably been covered but for the life of me I cannot find it. If someone can point me in the right direction that would be cool if not then could I get your opinions.

I am currently driving an IS220d and gotta say if I had known the issues with the MPG I would have just bought a 250 instead. Anyway I am looking to change up to the RX range but I have a dilema. Currently the 450 is out of my price range (looking up to around the 30k mark) so my question is do I go for a 400 instead?

I have test driven both and I like both. The have their own differences which appeal and then don't appeal. For example the 400 I actually prefer the touch screen nav to the new ouse driven one in the 450 and I actually prefer its layout. But then the 450 has the keyless entry with memory from the fob plus a few other things.

What I want to know from people who have had both the 400 and 450 what would be the better choice and why? If I go for the 450 I will have to wait a year, save a bit plus let it come down in price, where I know I could get a 58 plate 400 for around 24-25k (SE-L) model.

Your thoughts, or a point to another post would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

I've not tried the RX450 but if it helps I moved from an IS220d Sport to RX400h SE + MM and love it. I'll probably go for a 450 when I can afford it though...

I do miss the keyless entry. Although I've a 2008 one it has one of those quaint old fashioned keys. So many times I've wondered why the car doesn't unlock when I touch the door-handle!

I'm scared I'll miss keyless entry and auto memory seats, mirrors and steering wheel :crybaby:

Thing is tho, what I really would like to know is, is the 450 that much of an improvement over the 400 to warrant paying so much more for? Seen a 58 plate 400 for 24k but a 59 plate 450 is still 40k (both SE-L). Is the 450 worth 15k more? People are saying that the MPG is very similar so all I would save on is tax, need to know that the 450 is that much better to wait a year until it is in my price range and the I would regret buying a 400 now..... Or not as the case might be!

I know the 450 will drop drastically in price and I am happy to wait if it is worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Never owned a 400 but did have 350 so here is my 2p worth compared to 350 and 400h which I did however drive several times.

+ves for 450h

economy - I am getting between 30 and 37 mpg depending on route without concentrating

IPOD connection as standard

also Hard Drive nav (quick) and ability to burn CDs to Hard Drive in dash.

higher quality materials in cabin

LED headlamps - really bright!

some 400s had problems with Battery flattening - solved on 450h

Air suspension

more modern look

doesn't have the mad torque steer that 400h has under hard acceleration

keyless entry

bigger boot

parking sensors

laminated windows/double glazing

quieter in cabin

heated and chilled seats

DAB radio

ML stereo is even better than the 400h - which in itself is a cracker.

controls aren't speed locked - i.e you can change nav destination on the move.

3 position seat memory for both front seats.

more airbags

-ves

400h is better price/value at moment

no sunroof as standard in SE-L 450h

no rear DVD/ICE system as standard

no captains chairs in front any more

power socket/usb socket buried in bottom of central storage bin and hard to fiddle with

alloys are easier to kerb than 350/400

19" wheels have more expensive tyres

a few squeaks and rattles (now fixed) - mine was an 09 model.

Overall - love the car

Thanx for all that. It really does help to see drivers views rather than try work out what I think the differences would be (and listen to biased salesmen).

Its interesting what you say about the squeaks and rattles on the 450, what were they and how easy was it for lexus to sort?

I do notice that you are talking about the SE-L though and I am still thinking maybe the SE-I would be a better choice, as really the only big thing that I can see that would affect me would be the ML. Seeing as I hardly watch DVD's in my IS, I am not sure that the price difference between the models would be worth paying out for the SE-L.

On the DVD note, how good is the screen to watch DVD's? On my IS if I recline the seat it is virtualy impossible to watch at an angle, is it the same on the rx450?

Does anyone know if it is possible for lexus to fit the ICE/REAR DVD on an used 450? I know you can buy after market alternatives but just wondering if Lexus can fit theirs easily.

To be honest it does look like I am going to get the 450 but, with a budget of around 25k + trade in, I will have to wait another year at least. I will have to just stick to the oil burning IS for now..... Just hate the gear box and MPG (even though it is the same as RX450!)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links