Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi I have spent the last few months trying to decide on a replacement exhaust for my 98 GS300 as the centre section has broken and both rear silencers are looking well passed their best. I filled in a an online request for a quote on the Longlife website and a week or so later received a text message saying "phone us now, we have an offer you can't refuse". The number turned out to be my local Longlife dealer & he said that the text was a common thing that the company did & just to bring the car round some time for an estimate. I took the car to my local Powerflow dealer who quoted me £600 for the cat back system. Then I visited the Longlife dealer who said he would match the £600. Then I phoned Longlife sales number from their website, I didn't mention any other contact or other quotes given & was quoted £600. So where is the great offer? I then contacted them on Facebook as follows---

filled in an on-line form asking the price for an exhaust for my GS300 a couple of months back. Got a text message telling me you had an offer that I would be delighted with & to contact my local dealer in Bangor who had already quoted me £600. He said the price was still £600 & that you had sent out loads of these texts. Phoned your head office today & was quoted £600. WHY DID YOU SEND ME A TEXT FOR AN OFFER THAT DIDN'T EXIST??? Sounds like a bit of a con TBH.

Like · · Friday at 01:03 · Privacy:

Longlife Stainless Steel Exhausts Hi Andrew. Something seems to have gone wrong here. I'll look into this and get back to you. Regards - Jason

Friday at 09:49 · Like

Andrew Savage Well waited all day & you never got back to me.

Friday at 16:39 · Like

Longlife Stainless Steel Exhausts Sorry i've not been able to speak to Andrew today in the Bangor depot. I'll get back to you as soon as I have information for you.

Friday at 17:01 · Like

Longlife Stainless Steel Exhausts Hi. Just spoken to Andrew - will be able to get it down to £575 for you although that will be the best he can do. I understand Powerflow have quoted £600 which Andrew matched - out system will be of a higher quality so you're winning both ways there. Kind Regards - Jason

about an hour ago · Like

Andrew Savage So to confirm then you quoted me £600 over the phone with no mention of Powerflow and then sent me a text stating that you had a great offer that turned out to be 4.17% discount after complaining?

45 minutes ago · Like

Longlife Stainless Steel Exhausts As I understand it you'd been into the depot and Andrew there said he'd match the price for Powerflow at £600. I think he also mentioned doing just the rear boxes for £400? The work involved is substantial in building the system for your car - to be honest if you'd come to my depot it would have been more like £700 so £575 seems like a great price to me.

10 minutes ago · Like

Andrew Savage No. I did not mention on the phone anything at all about Powerflow or my local dealer & was quoted £500 + VAT fitted. To be honest I think we should end this now as I'm starting to find the whole thing most unpleasant.

Facebook link

This has put me totally off Longlife. Are they telling me the truth about being better quality than Powerflow? I line in Northern Ireland so my choice is fairly limited. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

I do feel you're being a little unfair here. You've failed to mention that you have visited the depot in Bangor and spoken to Andrew about this system. He quoted you the £600 or to try and save you from forking out all in one go offered to build just the rear boxes and then the centre section at a later date but keep the price the same as if you had had the work all done on the same day.

We log all of our quotes here at Longlife so if you had previously been quoted £600 that's the quote you would have received when you called again on another day. In fact, your first enquiry to us was on 09/07/2011 when you enquired about a cat back system as your system had broken on the centre box.

Each centre is quite free to charge as they see fit - local economy and competition does affect price so you may well pay less in Birmingham where there is far more competition. I would think that is the case across many industries, not just ours.

I'll certainly stand by the quote given to you by Andrew and also by the £25 discount which although not partiularly significant was based on the fact that Andrew would normally want more than £599 for the system anyway. The text messages offering discounts go out from Head Office and had I known that Andrew had already given what he considered to be the best price, you would have been omitted from the text run that day so for that I appologise I stand by the quality of the work, as I would with any of our depots. I'm unsure on the price of the OE Lexus system but I would wager that it would be more expensive than what Andrew can build for you which will also be of far better quality than the OE system.

You're more than welcome to contact me either through this forum where i'll quite happily respond in public or by the various other methods which I can be contacted on.

Jason - Longlife Head Office.

You've failed to mention that you have visited the depot in Bangor and spoken to Andrew about this system. He quoted you the £600
local dealer in Bangor who had already quoted me £600

I did mention that I had been at my local dealer. The facts are that I phoned your sales line and was quoted £600 for the full system without any mention of a discount or visiting other dealers etc, so I would take it then that that is the normal price. I would bet that if any member of the public phoned you now you would quote them £600.

The text messages offering discounts go out from Head Office and had I known that Andrew had already given what he considered to be the best price

So the discount is basically nothing, you are texting people to come in and chat with the dealer for a price on an exhaust. It is normal to negotiate a price when booking a car in for work.

You tell me that your exhausts are the best but Powerflow disagree

Hi Andrew

With ref to your question Powerflow Exhausts have been in business for over 12 years how long have Longlife been in Bangor

We do have two types of silencers i.e. pure stainless or a hybrid which a mixture of other metals and we have rolled edges and non rolled edges

I believe Longlife only have non rolled welded silencers, with ref to performance and sound this comes down to sizes of silencers and bore sizes that are used

By both companies

This will have to be your choice

Tony

Powerflow Exhausts (UK) Ltd

Powerflow have been straight forward with me so I feel that my business will go to them. I must say that I found the local Longlife dealer in Bangor very helpful and I have had no problem with him at all. My only annoyance from the start has been that you did not until now admit that YOUR HEAD OFFICE sent out a text message promising a discount which LED to nothing.

Andrew

I asked Longlife for a quote for a catback system for my IS200 a while ago, and the same as you I got a text saying they had a fantastic offer for me and I should ring them.

However as I knew it would probably just be more of a reminder that the quote was still valid than an actual offer I didn't ring back.

But I was pretty sure it was just a generic message that anyone that's been quoted receives, so I wouldn't have been offended if when I rang them, they just said it was the same price.

I would also say that the materials used by both longife and powerflow (as far as I know), are exactly the same: pipes and boxes made of 302 stainless and all welds done with 304 stainless.

So I guess it's just down to the skill of the guys at the particular depot you go to as to whether or not it will be better than the 'other' brand.

• 2 weeks later...

My mate had a full exhaust made up by long life and it was total rubbish, in the design and workmanship, but as said its down to the person who you get working on your car, that was down this way tho no up there so could not comment on longlife else where...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links