Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What To Look For When Buying A Second Hand Gs Mk2?

As said in another topic, I'm looking to swap the IS300 we have for a GS300 just to get some extra room and comfort.

I'll probably look for a car of similar age and mileage (2002-2004 with 80-110K miles ).

What should I look for when sarching for one?

Some people warned me about the master cilinder, the rust around the windscreen,...

Other things?

Cheers,

Brake master cylinder not an issue on post 2001 models as it was replaced by a larger cylinder. Also not a problem on GS 430.

Can't say that I've ever been aware of any rust problems.....that, to me, would be a sign of neglect.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

i have a 56 plate.

There was a recall on wiring loom to the fuel pump and brake master cylinder seal. Both done under recall warranty.

+ Mine had a failure of its computer brain. It came up with VSC failure and a complete christmas tree on the dash. A bit of research on here and i found it to be a common (ish) problem. I pointed out that this should be a recall as it was a known problem. I bit of a tussle later and it was done by Lexus Derby. If i had not seen it on here i think it would have been about £1500.

Other than that i have done about 50k miles in 18 months and its been perfect.

Great car, and would not want to swap it (yet)

PG

Hi mate, you prolly wanna concentrate on front suspension. Listen carefully for knocks, clunks and squeaking noises. The No2 control arm bushes seem to be a weak point, quite expensive to fix if you go the dealer route. Other than that, lower balljoints, front sway bar bushes are the things to look out for (not a big deal to fix and can be used to bargain down the price of a potential purchase). Also, listen very carefully when braking at low speeds for a clicking/knocking type noise (especially when turning and about to come to a stop - 3 point turn etc). All that this tends to be is the brake caliper guide pins need cleaning and regreasing, but once again can be used to get the price down :)

Good luck mate.

Will.

• Wheel vibration – The GS300 is sensitive to front wheel balance. Make sure you test drive the vehicle at 70-80mph

• Front brake discs – These are prone to warping, any steering wobble under light braking from 60mph indicates a problem.

• Ball joints – Perform full lock turns and try to drive over speed bumps and listen out of knocking noise or loose steering feel.

• Wind noise – Check for noise at 70mph around sunroof, door, mirror and windscreen.

• Door sensors – Open each door in turn and check the door open warning light illuminates on the dashboard. A problem with a sensor is costly as they are integrated into the door lock mechanism.

• Battery – When starting, the engine should turn over very fast. If the car struggles to turn over may indicate a problem with the Battery.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links