Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alloy Wheels Corrosion Is 250.

Fido

My IS 250 is three years old today. MOT and service was done by my local garage. All well except the alloy wheels which have corrosion which is lifting small patches of paint on each wheel. Although effectively one day out of warranty, I have reported the problem to my dealer - Lexus Poole. I have been requested by them to bring the car in for photos to be taken and sent to Lexus seeking a decision on what they are prepared to do.

If anyone has had a similar experience of corrosion I'd appreciate any information on what they achieved if they took it up with their dealer.

In due course I'll post here the outcome of my experience.

I would be surprised if anyone would say they did NOT have problems with Lexus alloys :lol:

It's a known problem. I am just shocked that it does not seem to have been solved throughout the years. Sure it cannot be that difficult to solve for a company driving so much for perfection.

What is weird, is that it seems to be caused by the wheels themselves. Many of us get their wheels refurbished and... 3 years later, they're flaking again. (might be some of us used the wrong refurb guy)

Actually, I know the Lexus Brand Manager for Europe. I'm gonna drop him a line once to get a reaction on this ongoing problem.

Hi, you can keep alloys in good condition, but it takes a bit of work, firstly put a good rim polish on them, preferably from new, it might sound silly but before I pick up a new car I get one of the young mechanics to polish the wheels with rim polish, and then give then a re polish every 4 months. Also keep the break dust of them by giving them a quick wash with soapy warm water once a week, only takes a few minutes. As soon as you get any curbing immediately either get a smart repair or clean and coat with clear lacquer

The wheels pictured below are 3years 5 month old.

lexus4sale013.th.jpg

Hi, every couple of months I spray the back of the wheels with cheep alloy wheel cleaner from the pound shop ( I don’t use this on the front of the wheels ), and jet wash them, this can be done with the wheels on the car by spraying the cleaner through the gaps in the wheels, so the inside of the wheels are generally pretty clean.

I have had Lexus cars for the past 12 years and normally keep then for 4 years, I have never had to have any of my wheels replaced because of corrosion, perhaps I have just been lucky.

I have had Lexus cars for the past 12 years and normally keep then for 4 years, I have never had to have any of my wheels replaced because of corrosion, perhaps I have just been lucky.

Sounds like it, as I've also owned Lexus cars for the past 11 years and my IS200 Sport has had one complete set of new wheels under warranty (after one year from new) and one refurbished set in its eighth year (I still have it). The OEM rims on my new IS250 SE-L also suffered slight bubbling under the paint after two years, and my Rays Volks replacements were also refurbished after two years.

My IS-F had a brand new set of rims under warranty after two years, but suffered from hot brake dust as opposed to salt corrosion. The new set on the IS-F has survived without a blemish, probably because I changed to non OEM ceramic brake pads and apply two coats of Poorboys Wheel Sealant every couple of months.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links